Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten : ELLA

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

MAX

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

I FEEL PERFECTLY NORMAL in the morning. Angel's mind therapy has worked wonders - something I will NEVER admit out loud to anyone. But knowing Angel, she's probably keeping tabs on my thoughts, which makes it hard to think and censor. Especially with last night running through my mind like a broken record.

I had gotten up and tried to fly. I ignored the stinging in my legs, which ultimately, ruined my takeoffs - again and again. Fang heard, confronted me (we had an embarrassingly sappy heart-to-heart talk), and almost kissed. The worst part was that I wanted to. I'm sure that more nights like the last will come - but right now I don't want to think about it.

I was one of the last to actually get up, however. The only other person still sleeping was the little blonde girl - Angel had told me her name was Gina. Names were something I was still working on, but everything else had come back to me - save for the occasional loss of leg function, I was fine.

"Are we leaving yet?" I asked/demanded through my mouth of grapes. "I think we should." Fang had informed me we were going to Dr, Martinez's house. It was easier to call her Martinez rather than Mom.

The little boy - a kid by the name of Midge - scowled at me. "I haven't finished eating yet!" He complained. Then Gazzy came rolling down the hill - covered in dirt and a million kinds of filth. "Gazzy! Stop it - you're getting dirty!" I called after him.

"Oh yeah - because you look and smell like roses, right?" Iggy teased, sarcastically. I went to shove him, but a smile from fang had my face burning - as quick as dry leaves in the Sahara.

"No, but you sure dose smell like roses." I replied sweetly, then changed my tone to grim. "Dead ones."

"Well that's mean." Another blonde boy, cleaner than Gazzy, plops down beside me on the grass. I know him - he was in the cell with me while I was hostage. I just don't know his name. Sammon, Ramen, something with ....

"Arron." He shrugs his small shoulders. Arron! He must've read the confusion on my face. I put on a light scowl. "I would've gotten it, Arron." I say, and lay down.

"We're leaving!" Fang calls, standing, and is moving before I'm halfway off the ground. Gina was rising slowly, after Iggy tripped over her. I listened to their short back-and-forth arguing for a few minutes, then shut them up with my usual "shut-the-fudge-up" glare. And kept walking. My pace was undoubtedly the slowest - it was why we all lumbered about at a snail's pace. I didn't want to move to fast or think too much and hurt myself.

Speaking of, I could feel the sting coming back into my ankles - the same pins and needles feeling everyone gets too often but doesn't know how to control. The pins and needles turned quickly to knives and daggers, and my chest was feeling heavier with each breath. My world fizzed, popped, and then went out in spots of white.

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

NUDGE

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

"OMIGOD OMIGOD!" I SCREECH when Max falls. I rush over to her, and try to lift her weight. "Max." I whisper, and end up drooping her to the ground. I'm followed by Fang, Angel, and the others. I put my hand to her forehead. "She's burning up!"