Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight : WAKE UP

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

FANG

[|][|][|][|][|[|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]

MAX IS EVERYTHING BUT weightless in my arms. She sags like a sack of potatoes - like a sac of potatoes with feathers. I can see that her wings are damaged, with smudges and dried substance like an unbreakable coat. She moans, and clutches my shirt in a death grip.that simple movement gives me hope she's alive - but not that she's recovering. She mumbles the same sentences over again in her sleep - something I can't comprehend - and her voice is so soft its hard to hear over the rushing winds.

I didn't let Angel or Iggy or Gazzy or Total or Nudge come with. It was because I wanted a chance to talk to Max. Before you jump to judge - I'm not crazy - I know she won't respond. But maybe, just maybe, she'll hear me.

I, Fang, had hope again. It was taken when Max ran away. It was taken when Jeb abandoned us and turned evil. It was taken when Max and I had our split right after the Anne ordeal. But right now - with her in my arms, I felt hope growing in my chest like sun over the horizon. I flew faster and faster, looking below at the many trees and ravines we had passed as a group. I secretly loved the feeling of wind on my face, I had never allowed myself to truly feel anything since Max's disappearance - other than worry and anxiety. But mix that with breathtaking heights, and it was like the anxiety and worry weren't there. It was a feeling that seemed to last only a few minutes, because I saw the top of the willow tree, and the river that flowed just a few feet away. I landed slowly, for Max's sake.

My legs felt like jelly, and I wobbled, and my grip on her slipped. Falling to my feet, she tumbled into the grass. Her lifeless body way next to mine - I was on my hands and knees, breathing heavily. I wiped at my cheeks, dry heaving. No. Did you ever hear about people literally choking on their emotions? It happens when you keep things bottled up inside. I was like that. Stuck for a few moments, until I gathered the strength to stand.

I picked up Max by the waist, and wrapped my other arm around her shoulder, I dragged her towards the water, and took off my shirt. It was then I noticed her many cuts and bruises. They were filled with dirt. Dipping the dark fabric into the cool water, I dabbed at her forehead. It took me to a memory of when we were younger. When I was six, and she had been seven. Max was a few months older, and she liked to shove it in my face. But I was at her side, endlessly teasing her when she had come down with a cold the next day. She was shivering and sneezing and everything, complaining it was too hot - even though her skin felt cold, like ice.

Jeb was at the sink, rinsing out a damp cloth. When he handed it to me, I raised my eyebrows. "You've been at her side all day, Fang. Might as well be useful." He chuckled at my still confused expression. "Why is it cold?"

"Because so is she. You have to remember, Fang. You, Max, Iggy, Nudge - even little Gazzy and Angel, are different from normal people. While you can pass for human, you aren't completely human. For Max - her body is reacting like this because it's growing. And after that, she'll have to sleep for a few days to regain her health. You all have special abilities, and this is just the beginning." Jeb said. "Place it on her forehead."

"Okay." I said, and she moaned. "So, we have like, special powers?"

"Yes."

"Do you know what mine will be?"

"No." He replied too quickly. "Here - I'll go make some soup. You keep an eye on her."

"Why do I have to?" I pouted. Jeb shook his head. "You're always by her side, Fang. Its nothing different - except the two of you aren't screaming and biting and kicking each other."