Chapter 13

The door to the front of the pack house slammed open, Leone dragging me away from the center of their lycan village. Others that walked along the streets stared at us in disbelief as we strolled past them, and it caused a nervous sensation to form within the depths of my stomach. Surely, one of these loyal pack members would go and report my current activity to the Alpha. Why wouldn't they? 

"Um...Leone? Where are we going?" I asked as he dragged me along, not bothering to even glance at me once since the argument. 

"Somewhere were we can talk," he mumbled out, dragging me towards the edge of the forest.

I glanced around, making sure that no one saw where we were. "Okay, what do you want to talk about?"

He sighed. "Kay, why do you do this to yourself? Why do you let him walk over you, cheat you? You deserve so much better. I've never met such a wonderful, sweet, nerdy girl. You're actually nice to me. You treat me like a true lycan, and I am forever grateful towards you. I want to help you, Kay."

"I, I..." words couldn't form from my mouth, tears forming in my blue eyes, "I just thought that I would have my mate sweep me off my feet and take me away from my horrible parents. My mom was selfish, and my dad ignored us. I just wanted the attention that I never got growing up. I know that sounds bratty--and it probably is--but I just wanted my own happy ending...and I didn't get it."

His arms wrapped around my body, squishing me against his chest. Never had I felt more comfortable in my entire life. He was warm and cozy.

"Kay, I promise that you can have that happy ending, but I don't think Eiji can give you that," he said.

I sniffed, wiping away my tears as I glanced up at Leone. "Then who?"

"How about...me," he said, leaning down and capturing my lips in a kiss.

One would have imagined that my wolf would have growled in disgust, but it was quite the opposite. Instead, she yipped with joy, screaming a very familiar word within my mind.

"Mate, mate, mate!"

My eyes widened at her chirps as I pulled away from his soft lips, staring at him in shock. "How are we...how am I..."

"I don't know, but you're my mate, Kay. If I have to fight for you, then I will," he told me, his voice growing quieter, "Eiji will keep hurting you, but I promise that I never will. If I do, you can kill me. You can slice my dick off if I were to ever harm you--though I can guarantee that I never will. I love you, and you're my precious, little mate."

A small smile formed on my lips. "Wow...so I guess second-chance mates are a thing after all."

Leone chuckled. "I guess so. I never would have believed if it hadn't happened to me."

"Really? Even after the fact that Logan had my sister as his second chance?" I wondered.

Surprisingly, Leone seemed rather confused. "Lizbeth as his second-chance mate? What are you talking about?"

I gave him a look. "Logan told me that Holly was his first mate, but she never committed to him. He rejected her, and later on, he met Lizbeth as his second-chance mate."

"Holly and Logan...were never mates. Holly's mate died years ago, from what I remember. And Logan didn't find his mate until he met your sister. I was born and raised in this pack, so...I know mostly everything that goes on. Trust me," he said, looking into my eyes.

I saw the truth in his eyes. Leone was telling the truth, causing me to become very suspicious. "Then why would he lie to me about something like that?"

He shrugged. "Maybe he just wanted to make you feel better."

I sighed. "Maybe so..."

Why would Logan lie to me just to make me feel better? He didn't seem like the kind of person to do such a thing...

"So what are you going to do about Eiji?" Leone suddenly asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.

I glanced at my second-chance, sighing softly. "I want to reject him. I'm getting tired of giving him chances, but I don't know how..."

Leone gently kissed my cheek. "I'll help you."

"No, that would be far too dangerous for you. He'd have you dead before you could even say a word. No...I think...I think we should see one another in secret--just for now, until I can come up with an idea," I explained.

Leone sighed. "I honestly won't like seeing you in secret, but if you feel as if it's the safest solution for now, then I will support you."

Smiling, I leaned my head against his chest, my wolf sighing in content. "Thank you. I promise that I will figure something out as soon as I can."

"I know. I believe in you," he said softly, playing with my hair.

Eventually, we decided that enough time had passed, and if we stayed out any longer, everyone would grow suspicious.

As we got closer to the pack house, a familiar scent fanned into my nostrils. The scent was of my father, and my stomach dropped.

Leone noticed my nervous behavior. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I...I think my father is here. I can smell him."

We both gave each other a look before entering the pack house.

Indeed, I was right. My father stood by the main staircase, along with Logan, Lizbeth, and Eiji.

Eiji glared at Leone, but nothing more.

"Father, what are you doing here?" I asked hesitantly, taking a few steps towards him.

He sighed. "I...found out about your encounter...with my brother. I had a vision of it in my sleep a couple of nights ago."

My eyes widened as I glanced over at Lizbeth, who was glaring at me.

"Why didn't you say anything about him?" she spat at me.

"Because I didn't want you to be worrying yourself to death," I scolded at her.

"Girls," our father commanded, sighing, "I think it's time that I tell you a story..."

A/N I have SO many ideas for this book, so I have motivation to work on it again. I plan to update multiple times a week now :3