Chapter 2 - The Mystery of a Prince

Start from the beginning

He kept his head high as he walked toward the dais, occupied only by the King. His gaze straight forward, he tried not to notice the disapproving glances he could feel on his back. As the Third Magician he had responsibilities and honor he had shirked by not coming to court when he had first arrived yesterday afternoon. He knelt and placed both of his fists on the floor.

Caine straightened to face the King and knew he would find a court face carved with little expression. For a race as jovial as elves generally were, they could steel themselves into stony indifference so easily one was never sure which emotion they truly felt.

"I am sorry for my lateness in this court, Your Majesty. The travel near drained me and I had not the energy to make the trip to the Council chambers. I come with humble apology ready to put my life at risk for your kingdom."

"A pretty speech Caine, of course you are welcomed. Pease take a seat and join us in today's business." The King motioned to the back wall above where Caine had entered. It was a slight to his station to be positioned so far back and away from the magicians' section but he knew to accept his punishment gracefully. The more he accepted that his punishment was correct, the faster he would be forgiven. He walked quickly to an open spot near the top of the back wall.

Once seated, he settled in for a long day of elfin politics in which he had little interest. He was not an emissary, he was a soldier and today was about the politics that came with accepting a declaration of war. This day had nothing to do with him, but he used it to gain back the esteem he had lost by retiring yesterday instead of announcing himself to Court. Caine knew how to play this game as well as the next person.

...

Caine had unknowingly chosen very good timing for his appearance and apology as there was something else to divert the courts minds from his rebuff. One of the Princes had returned home today and was due in court that afternoon.

Prince Keenan was a favored son and the only royal child out of many who had never been in disgrace. The reason was quite simple; he was almost never at court to bother his father and was reputed to be one of the best military minds alive.

But the rumor was that he had done something that would be pushing the edge of his father's acceptance; no one quite knew what it was, or if they did, they didn't speak of it. With the rumor mill grinding away at the Prince, Caine had a reprieve of the scorn he should have received.

As usual, the politics took most of the day. Lunch was a brief affair where Caine could already tell he was being forgiven. The court ate in a meadow right inside the tree line barely out of sight of the court chambers and no work was discussed.

As boring as court always was, Caine managed to stay awake and alert in the afternoon, as had most of the court, by anticipating the arrival of the prince. It was rumored that he had been romantically involved with the elven Goddess the last time she had manifested. Caine was curious to see this elf that could tempt someone sent by the Stars and pick his brain for strategy.

Finally, the doors closed to the forest and the one on the right of the King opened. Silence had fallen on the elves as their hearing alerted them to the familiar footsteps of their Prince. Caine followed their gaze and was surprised to see the elf from the party he had passed on the way to court that morning.

Keenan walked to face his father and bowed his head, hand on his sword, a comfort no one else had been allowed in the Council chamber.

"Father, I have returned as you requested. It is an honor to serve you."

"Son, it is a pleasure to see you home at last. We know you will lead us to victory, please stay by my side so we may confer." The king's voice softened slightly, making it obvious who the favorite son was.