Chapter 25

"What?" I ask, my eyes widening

"What?" I ask, my eyes widening. "That's not possible..."

Dani shakes her head. "Think about it, Athena. All of this is considered impossible. Yet, look where you are."

The three quickly recover while I still am slightly shook up.

I have a foggy memory of Harper telling me things are fake and artificial, that you can manipulate things if you find the right spots.

Was this one of those spots?

I mean, it could be. Maybe, but I haven't even practiced how to do that.

One advances on Dani as she kneels to the ground and reaches for a thick branch.

The other two snap their heads towards me, the boy and the girl with the brown hair and glasses.

"Can't anything be resolved peacefully here?" I murmur to myself as the girl with brown hair pulls a gun out and holds it up while the guy keeps walking towards me.

So, I'm in a sticky situation here.

A girl is about to shoot me, and if I don't die from that, there's a guy walking towards me with a very menacing look.

How do they win fights in books?

I hear that if you punch them in the nose, they'll flee.

Or is that just for sharks?

I'm pretty sure that's for sharks. But do I really have any other options right now?

The guy keeps walking and as soon as he's just a couple steps away, I pull my arm back and swing it forward, my fist connecting with his jaw.

Well, that wasn't his nose. Close enough.

Surprised by the fact that punching him didn't hurt at all, I look back up at his face and step back, my eyes widening.

His cheek now has a huge dent in it.

Artificial, I'm guessing. Fake.

I gulp as he, seemingly unaffected, continues to move forward.

Looking towards Dani, I see her relentlessly trying to pull the gun out of the blonde girls hand.

I watch as, suddenly, the gun shoots out of both of their grasps and to the ground.

Now I know that wasn't me-

A bang sounds off and I jump, surprised as pain shoots through my shoulder.

Did a bug just bite me or something?

My eyes blur over as I hear Dani call my name.

I pat my shoulder absent-mindedly and wince in pain, pulling my hand back as it's covered in a sticky fluid.

Looking down at my hand, I realize that the sticky fluid is blood.

I just got shot.

Laughter spills out of my mouth as black spots begin to appear in my already blurred vision.