:Dusk Until Dawn: [Chapter: 18] //A Vampire Romance//

Start from the beginning

"Bye," Damian and I responded as he climbed into the car and closed the door.

Damian turned to me and opened the passenger door before walking to the other side and getting in. I slid into the car and closed the door, reaching for my seat belt.

"Do you always leave you car unlocked?" I questioned, snapping the buckle.

"Most of the time," Damian replied, buckling himself in then starting the car. "Cars aren't really that important. I could always just buy a new one."

I nodded as the radio came on and Damian pulled out of the parking lot. I didn't recognize the song that was playing as I stared out the window in the black woods.

"Why did you tell Emmett we were going out?" I asked Damian, turning to look at him. There was no use beating around the bush.

"It's a good explanation for why I'll be following you around all the time now," Damian responded, keeping his eyes on the road. "It's an easy one too."

"Oh." I stared out the window again. He was right about it being the easiest explanation. But I couldn't help wish there was something more to it.

It was silent as we continued down the dark and dead streets. I folded my hands in my lap and watched as they were drowned in light every time we passed under a street lamp, and then drowned in darkness when it passed.

"You don't really think more vampires will be after me, do you?" I asked hesitantly. "I mean, there's no way anyone other than the vampires at the house that time. But you killed all of those."

Damian gave me a sideways glance. "It's... slightly possible others might know now."

"How?"

"We don't know if there had been another vampire there that had escaped. Or if the vampires we defeated had unique abilities. Take this for example, if one of them could implant messages to another, it could say a human has found out about the existence of vampires."

"But why does that have anything to do with changing me into a vampire?"

Damian suddenly looked very uncomfortable, and a little angry. "Well..."

"Damian."

"Now that you know we are vampire..." He paused, and took a deep breath. "Eventually... you'll have to be turned into a vampire."

I gasped and froze. I must have misheard him. Did he just say that I would have to be changed into a vampire? It was impossible! I didn't want to be a vampire!

"No way!" I finally cried. "Why didn't you tell me this before? I don't want to be a vampire!"

Damian grimaced, and than gave me a sad look. "I know. I wasn't thinking when we told you we were vampires. Maddie, I'm really sorry."

We were at my house now. Damian pulled up to the curb and waited. I stared at him, feeling a mix of emotions.

"Why...?" I asked, feeling my eyes grow wet. "I don't have a choice?"

Damian's face softened. "Don't cry, Maddie."

"Do I have a choice?" I repeated, ignoring him as my anger grew. "Or am I stuck having to be turned into a vampire?"

Damian stayed silent, staring at me as his emotions flickered between anguish and pity.

"Fine. Whatever," I growled, reaching for the door. As soon as my hand touched the handle, Damian locked the doors.

"Unlock the door, Damian."

"Listen to me, Maddie," Damian pleaded, reaching over the seat and grabbing my wrist.