... Sure I don't like to think of troublesome things, But...

It sounded far-fetched.

So why did Apollo seem so convinced?

"There is a thin line between optimism and denial. My brother taught me that very well." His expression tightened.

"As clever as you are Maddison, you are naive and tend to resort to denial when the facts threaten your view of things. That is why you're going to lose."

How does he know all this? How could any stranger know me so well...?

"I don't understand...." I began, but Apollo shook his head grimly.

"I know. You can't understand. Not until it's too late..."

"Are you finished with your little chat?" Jack's pleasant voice interrupted our conversation. "I would really appreciate it if we could wrap this up soon."

Whoops. I forgot we were sort of in the middle of something...

Jack shrugged apologetically when Apollo turned to glare at him

"I have someone very special waiting for me to come play for her. I hate to be rude, but there's only so much practice I can do here, and she hates to be kept waiting."

How diligent of you, Jack, and here I thought you were just playing the violin to be creeeepy.

Apollo didn't bother to respond, walking the last couple of feet to his group.

Now that we were close, I again made eye contact with Vain. The moment our eyes met, I immediately felt... The intense need to avoid him.

Guilt. Shame. Despair.

Again, after only a brief moment of eye contact, I had to look away.

... And something else I couldn't name...
Vain's concerned gaze burned into me, making me wish that I could hide.
With the hand not holding my Jar, Apollo reached into his pocket and pulled out two cards. "As you know, I have just collected both the King and Queen Cards."

He turned to face Jack.

"We have also managed to successfully capture the Joker card." At his words, the boy who I had seen in the photo earlier quickly passed the Card over to Apollo.

"Now we just need the Ace."

Which is now in the hands of the craziest person here...

Apollo sounded calm, but his eyes burned with hatred as he glared at Jack.

The mad man himself gave Apollo a gentle smile.

"As I said before, I'm more than happy to hand over the Ace, so long as you fulfill your end of the bargain."

He stretched out a hand. "We agreed to a trade after all. I'll give you the Card... "

Lavender eyes full of gentle warmth lowered to my jar.

Welp.

"...and you will give me Maddison Tramph."

I'm dead.

I stared numbly up at the expressionless Apollo, too shocked to get angry.

Had he really agreed to this? To hand me over to Jack, who would...

I felt my body cringe at the memory of what Jack had done in the past. Despite his gentle exterior, Jack had a taste for inflicting pain.

"Apollo...?" I said, almost whimpered.

Apollo didn't even look at me, just kept his eyes on Jack.

"Yes that was what we agreed." Apollo clicked his fingers, and suddenly the doors of the stadium slammed shut.

Locked.

The members from Apollo's group begun to spread out, circling Jack.

"Oh dear... " Jack said, his gentle smile becoming sad. "Don't tell me you intend to go back on our bargain?"

"You give me too much credit." Apollo answered lowly. "I never had any intended to going along with your insanity."

Jack lowered his gaze in defeat.

"Oh no, looks like I've been scammed."

... I know how that feels...

"Scammed implies that you already paid me." Apollo said, turning to look over his shoulder at Vain. "This is more of a mugging."

... At least he doesn't try to sugar coat it...

"Let him go." Apollo told the two students holding Vain's arms. One did so without hesitation.

Rachel pouted, only reluctantly doing as she was told when Apollo scowled.

Impressive.... Psychotic Fan girls are not easy to scare off thier prey.

I stumbled when my jar was suddenly shoved forward into Vain's hands.

I couldn't help the relief I felt at the sight of the familiar pale fingers.

"Don't interfere." Apollo said, incredibly stern for someone so seemingly bored. "And don't try to run away. I'm not in the mood to chase you."

The short boy turned on his heel, storming towards Jack.

"Now, if you're done faking surprise, let's finish what we really came here to do." Apollo said menacingly, his shoulders tense with suppressed anger.

Jack gave a soft laugh. "Are you sure you want to do that Apollo? I did beat the Ace after all, without receiving a scratch."

In an blur, Apollo crossed the remaining space between them, slamming his fist into Jack's face.

The violinist stumbled back, clutching him face in pain.

"Unfortunately for you Jack." Apollo intoned coldly. "Misdirection only works on people stupid enough to believe in Magic."