Chapter 15

Sitting on Vain's shoulder during our first class together brought the term "Cold Shoulder" to a whole new level.

Apparently, deciding to cooperate still couldn't make up for the fact that I had ditched him, putting myself in extreme peril.....

Obviously still angry with me, Vain sat silently in class, the perfect attentive student to anyone's eyes.

I knew him better though, well enough to recognise a brooding mountain of resentment when I was sitting on the shoulder of one.

All things considered, having to sit on a freezing iceberg was actually the most comfortable aspect of this whole classroom experience.

Between the strange looks, I kept receiving from my fellow classmates and the boring lecture the teacher was giving, sitting on Vain's incredibly moody shoulder was practically the highlight of the science lesson.

Unfortunately, after the first ten minutes of forcing myself to sit quietly still, I had pretty much resorted to staring intensely at the classroom door, like dogs do when they want to go out.

Was it even possible to go insane in just ten minutes? Surely, no one could possibly be so immature that they would have a mental breakdown just because they had to sit still quietly for a while...

I glanced at Vain, watching his pale features as he took down notes. From my spot on his shoulder, I could see his long white eyelashes casting shadows across his white skin.

He looked like some sort of nerdy Angel-

I did not just think that.

Slapping a hand up to cover my reddening face, I peeked at Vain from in between my fingers. Thankfully, he hadn't noticed my sudden embarrassment.

Desperate for any kind of distraction, even if it meant breaching the great wall of silence between us and risking almost certain death, I crawled closer to Vain's ear and whispered. "Vain, I'm bored."

I held my breath, expecting Vain to continue stubbornly ignoring me or to at the very least to tell me to shut up.

Though I did feel the shoulder beneath me stiffen, my complaint didn't actually go completely unacknowledged.

Vain's giant hand shifted far below, moving to gently tear off a small corner from his notebook. I watched on in nervous amazement as Vain quickly wrote something on both sides, glancing over to his face once to see his calm poker face concentrating on the task.

Once completed, he silently held it up for me and, hesitating with a mixture of nervousness and suspicion, I took the dinner plate-sized scrap of paper from between his long fingers.

Swallowing anxiously, preparing myself for whatever scathing comment I was about to find, I read the note.

Turn over.

Confused, I turned the sheet over, only find that the other side said exactly the same thing.

Just to make sure I hadn't read wrong, I turned the sheet over again, confirming that both sides of the paper did indeed say 'turn over.'

Scrunching the offensive piece of paper, I had to resist the urge to shove the paper down the Vain's damned ear hole.

"What is this supposed to be?" I asked dangerously, my face likely shifting to a very unnatural shade of red.

Without a word, without a crack in his disinterested expression, he tapped his note pad with his pencil, drawing my attention down.

Entertainment for idiots. Should keep you going for a couple of hours.