Chapter 175

Alan said, a very. Bad. Word.

I was so impressed, I momentarily forgot to be terrified.

... Definitely saving that one for a rainy day.

Before Cassandra even had a chance to start monologuing, Alan's hands resumed their task on the keyboard, rapidly typing out commands as though every second counted.

Meanwhile, in the head of Maddison Tramph, I was kicking myself for being an idiot.

Nigel hadn't shown any signs of feeling pain since we had been reunited, so it was easy to assume that whatever Cassandra had done to him at the Dance party of Doom to make him mortal required control of her satellite. Yet, here he was, in obvious pain...

So, either Nigel has been inexplicitly cured, or...

I clenched my hands painfully tight, to keep them from shaking.

Cassandra has regained control over the system.

"You know better than to touch Mommy's toys, Alan." Cassandra teased over the speakers, making my skin crawl.

Couldn't just get a normal villain, nooooo. Had to go with the crazy one that makes everything creepy.

"Can't you make this thing go any faster?" I breathed, watching the screen flicker through the options faster than I could read.

"Yea, but why rush?" Alan muttered, so bitterly I would have easily mistaken him for Alex under different circumstances. "Let me savour the Matricide..."

Cassandra tsked impatiently.

"If you're not going to listen, then I'm afraid you're going to have to go into time out."

I turned.

I couldn't help myself.

Her voice hadn't come from the speaker; this time...no...it sounded like it was in the room...

I looked up in time to see a white hand clenched down on Alan's shoulder.

...just like her.

There was a brief moment, a pause where she seemed to revel in our horror.

Alan closed his eyes, resigned, and let out a sigh.

So close.

I was on my feet, backing away in the same instant Cassandra ripped the tall boy away from the controls.

Thrown with brutal strength, Alan flew across the room. He hit the floor, sliding with the force before agilely rolling to his feet.

Cassandra stood in his place.

Red-head, sexy scientist Cassandra. Back from the dead.

The tall woman spared a glance in my direction, looking over her shoulder with a triumphant grin. Her eyes said it all.

You lose.

Alex didn't hesitate, leaping onto his Mother's back and wrapping his small arms around her neck in a chokehold.

...Can't say it didn't at least slow her down.

She took a moment to laugh.

Cassandra grabbed onto the small child, yanking him over her shoulder and slamming him down onto the ground.

"It's not nice to play rough baby." She cooed, continuing to hold him down.

Alex grunted with pain, shoving at the tall woman as she pinned him.