Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The screams of their latest victim seemed to vibrate off the walls, echoing throughout the dark, small room. The sobs of those fragile souls around me turned into wails at the loud sounds. No tears stained my cheeks at their screams anymore; crying only resulted in more punishment. I had learned many lessons over the years, yet they never seemed to be enough. I fought in the beginning, but after years, I lost all ambition. Now, I didn't see anything to fight for.

The air whistled before another scream sounded, this one leaving a slight ring in my ears long after it had died away. My face remained passive as I pulled my legs in even closer. I stared into the never-ending darkness, hearing the wails of the others around me. I was special enough to have my own cage to reside in while other cages could contain up to ten people. Only one other cage was currently being used and contained five people. I couldn't decide if I was happy or disappointed by the fact that they didn't need that much room. I guess I could be happy that it meant not many others were living through this, or I could dread over the fact that, since they didn't have many others, punishment for me would be more often.

"Why are they doing this?" a female in the cage over sobbed. I know how you feel, I thought dryly, but I kept that response to myself. Those had been my very thoughts in the beginning; I had quickly learned that voicing those thoughts was the wrong thing to do. Somehow, these creatures heard every whisper and scream we let out. The door was slammed open, the light spilling in causing my eyes to water, but I didn't look away or blink. I watched the steel toed boots march over to the other cage, heard the key's rattling before the scream of the girl being pulled away. "No, please I'm sorry!" she screamed, sobbing the entire way. The sound of flesh hitting flesh pierced through me before all that was left was the sobs of the women being taken away. If I could give her any advice, it would be to never cry in front of these monsters. It just fueled their blood lust, seeing us weak and vulnerable. I watched them leave, feeling no change in my expression. Emotions no longer wasted their time with me; twelve years like this and I felt more like a robot than human. That time had also allowed me to observe the actions of my captures, see how they worked.

Some things were easy for me to identify. Like for one, they only brought in females. Not once in my twelve years had they dragged in a male to abuse. I knew they liked the sounds of our pain. I could see the mirth and excitement in their eyes whenever we screamed.

Males were the primary tormentors and, sometimes, when we were going to be used for their sexual pleasures, a certain female named Marquette would come in and pretty us up for them. Also, they were all stunningly beautiful. Pale skinned, perfect features, the men tall and muscular and the females slim but also strong.

Marquette was a pale red head with striking gold eyes. They all had unnatural eye colors: violet, amber, yellow, and even red. This all lead me to believe they were not exactly human. When they were truly angry, all their eyes would turn pitch black. I had observed them for many years and yet, still did not know what they were! One thing was for certain; my captures were not human.

The screams started up again and I couldn't bring myself to feel much more than a mild annoyance; I missed the quiet. I had not always been like this. There had been a time where I had hoped, hated, wanted, and even loved; normal, even, but that had all been harshly ripped away from me. The sobs around me slowly started quieting as others drifted off to sleep. I was just about to join them in slumber when the door was opened once again. I didn't move or stir as the guard named Damon once again imprisoned the other women. I expected him to just leave but was startled when I heard him opening my cell door. Watching him, I wondered who wanted me this time. Christen normally called for me, but there were others. He strolled in and only once he got closer did I notice something... he wasn't alone. He was gripping the arm of a girl who could not have been more than fourteen.