Chapter 8

:D

Chapter 8

            "Anton," I jumped at the shout, cringing away from the sound. I quickly lifted my eyes away from the manila colored paper below me, feeling my walls come up to block out my surprise.

            Daisy, the apparent 'book worm' of the pack-whatever that meant-stared at me with her enormous blue eyes, swimming with worry and confusion and I carefully slid away slightly, worried about her erratic appearance. I didn't hear Anton enter the front room, but I certainly felt as he placed his hands on my shoulders. The action made me jolt in shock, feeling old fears quickly rise. I fought to push them down, reassuring myself that it was Anton, and Christian was nowhere in sight.

            "What's the matter?" he rumbled.

            I sucked in a sharp breath, my nerves even more on edge than normally. Ever since my... predicament in the morning, I had been jumpy. Well, wouldn't you be too if you woke up in the arms of a man as desirable as Anton?

            Apparently, the man doesn't know how to stick to his own side of the bed.

            So, imagine my surprise... and panic as I awoke. I was trapped under one of his enormous arms that was wrapped tightly around my waist. With my past, the instant I had felt the heavy sensation, my fight or flight mode kicked in. Ever since giving up on basically everything, I wasn't much of a fighter, so I instantly struggled to run.

            I had squirmed and wiggled, but nothing I had done seemed to affect him in the slightest. I started feeling enclosed and imprisoned, and as my anxiety grew, a whimper slipped past my lips; and that is what really got him moving.

            However, instead of moving away like I had hoped he would, he rolled over on top of me, somehow still keeping his weight from totally crushing me. His head snapped around the room, his eyes wide and alert. I let out a squeak of surprise, staring up at him with wide eyes. He looked down at me, eyes dark and molten.

            As he met my gaze, he seemed to freeze as I bit my lower lip, hesitantly placing my hands on his chest-bare, might I add-and shoved him shyly. When he didn't move, I quickly retracted my hands. Placing them over my eyes, I fought of my embarrassment and shook my head. He finally seemed to get my message as he quickly stood, letting out a nervous chuckle.

            "I'm sorry; I just heard your whimper and I... um... never mind. I'll leave you to get dressed." He left the room quickly, and I just barely caught him walking out the door as I lowered my hands.

            I snapped back into reality as Daisy started talking, her curious gaze flickering from me to Anton.

            "I think something's wrong," she said quietly, biting her lower lip. I felt Antons' hands constrict on my shoulders.

            "What do you mean?" He snapped out, moving over to stand next to me. I saw Daisy gulp, seeming truly worried.

            "Well, I'm um, no expert, but considering she hasn't turned a page in the last twenty minutes... I don't think she can read." She whispered the last part, but I was close enough to hear. I flushed slightly, ducking my head in order to hide it. Twice in two days I had to put up with the annoying heating of my cheeks.

            Note to self; next time I pretend to read, actually turn the page once in a while. I lowered my head even more, letting my hair fall over my shoulder to hide my betraying blush. The room was filled with a stand still silence, one that ironically seemed to be screaming at me. It bore down on me even more than a crowded, loud room could.