SatS - Chapter 14: Fierce

I chuckled as Shadow ruffled the colourful flowers that sprinkled the clearing around us

"Okay, Okay," I said as I grasped her hand again "I know you like the flower but we must keep going, the others will be worried if we do not return soon"

Shadow pouted but obliged, but not without picking up a fallen one within her hands.

A Rose.

I smiled.

"Here I said, taking the stem gently from her palm.

Taking out a small pocket knife, a gift from Barnes long ago, I carefully stripped the stem of its protective layers.

"There we go!" I said once it is clear

Now let's see... I thought as I bit my tongue

Carefully, I weaved the now clear stem into the wave of her hair that floated above her.

Letting go, I ever so slowly watched as it moved around in her locks but did not fall from it.

Shadow giggled with delight as she said "Thank you! Pretty flower!"

"Yes, pretty flower. Just like you!" I replied as I swung her onto my hip, making sure not to jolt the bag of firewood and berries we had collected along our way.

"Now, we should get back, it's almost time to set camp again!"

She nodded, resting her head on my shoulder as I started to move out of the clearing and towards our campsite.

It has been a few days since we faced off with the serpent. After a night's rest, we had started back on our journey to the Sandman, the next holder of the stone. The first step of passing the serpent's pass had been succeeded. Now we are to find the Moniki tribe, who are said to know the exact location of the Sandman, being the only trib her ever spoke with.

Hopefully, we may find them soon... I thought as, suddenly, a whimper hit my ear.

"What is that?" I asked as I halted, tensed.

Shadows eyes scanned the area with mine.

Another whimper.

Someone is hurt... I thought as I tried to follow the direction of the noise.