Balloon Problems

After meeting with the lollipop guild Addelaide moved from the throne room to her office

After meeting with the lollipop guild Addelaide moved from the throne room to her office. Waiting for her there was Fiyero. As soon as he saw her, he stood from the settee he was lounging on in her waiting area just outside her office. "Are you all set and ready to go?" She asked when she saw him.

He nodded, meeting her halfway as she entered the room. "Sure are. I came to say goodbye." He took her hands in his, pulling her closer causing her to smile.

"I do prefer face to face farewells." They leaned closer together, lips almost touching.

"And I promise you will never have to worry about a faceless farewell from me ever again." With that he closed what little space was left between them and kissed her breath away. When they pulled apart he had a smirk on his lips. "Wanted to leave you with something to remember me by." He then winked.

Addelaide laughed, pushing playfully at his chest to create distance between them. "Be safe on your journey please."

Fiyero chuckled as he gave her the Ozian Guard salute. "Yes, your goodliness."

"Oh, don't you start that too. Now get out of here and get that girl back home." She chuckled, shaking her head causing Fiyero to laugh as he left the room.

Addelaid turned and just before he crossed the threshold of the room, called out his name. Fiyero turned back around with a questioning look on his face. "Return to me in one piece please." She smiled.

He easily returned it with one of his own. "I promise." With that he turned back around to meet up with the others so they could start their journey.

It was about a week later and she had still not heard anything from Fiyero. She wasn't expecting a daily update but surely a week was enough time to get to Kiamo Ko and to give back the slippers. She was looking over some paperwork regarding some of the refugees. By the third time she had re read the same sentence, she pushed the papers to the side and pinched the bridge of her nose.

Luckily she didn't have to wait much longer. Her desk phone rang. The ringing broke the frustrated silence she was sitting in and startled her. She fumbled with the handset of the gold and ruby studded rotary phone as she tried to answer it. Not only did the physical ringing scare her but the possible reason did too. The only people who had the number to that phone were the leaders of each country within Oz plus the Wizard.

"This is Addelaid the Good. May I ask who this is?" She finally answered bringing the handset up to her ear.

"Addie! It's me! Glinda, your cousin. You know the one living in the Emerald City." Galinda replied with her usual bubbliness.

"Yes, Galinda, I know who you are."

Galinda huffed. "Addie, you know I changed my name to Glinda."

Addelaide rolled her eyes. "I will keep calling you Galinda for as long as you call me Addie."

"Whatever. The proper use of names is not the reason I called. I called because you must get to the Emerald City, Addie."

The urgency in her voice made Addelaide's nerves surface once more. "What happened?"

"The Wizard sent some of the Guard with that poor girl from Kansas. They were to kill Elphie and they did Addie! They threw water on poor Elphaba and she actually melted!"

Addelaide shook her head. She couldn't believe that something like that would actually work. "Surely, you can't believe that."

"Her hat and robe were all that was left Addie, so it must be true. Now will you please come to the Emerald City. I've got to figure out how to send this girl home and I'm not sure how."

Addelaide sighed. "Fine but the others will be coming back to Quadling with me."

Galinda let out a squeal. "Oh, thank you Addie! Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

With that the Upland cousins hung up the phone. Addelaide sat there for a moment before jumping into action. She grabbed her spell book and wand as she called out for Ro. "Yes, Addelaide?"

"I'm going to the Emerald City for some business so I'll need a carriage prepared, please."

Ro nodded. "Right away."

By the time Addelaide arrived Dorothy and her group returned. A bell hop greeted Addelaide, helping her out of the carriage just as Ro was making his way around to do just that. "Miss Glinda arranged for your stay. I'll be more than happy to take your bags and show you to your room."

Addelaide smiled but just as she was about to answer she spotted Galinda. "I'll find my way to the room later. I see my cousin. Feel free to show Ro, however." The bellhop nodded and went to work.

"Are you sure, Addelaide?" Ro asked.

She nodded. "Yes. Enjoy some time to yourself. You deserve it."

Ro sighed, nodding almost reluctantly.

"I promise to not get into any trouble since I know that's what you're afraid of." She reassured.

His expression turned sheepish. "Just promise you'll send for me if you need my assistance."

Addelaide laughed. "I promise." With that she readjusted her satchel strap and made her way over to her cousin. Galinda wrapped Addelaide into a big hug. "Oh, I'm so glad you're here." She beamed.

Addelaide did her best to return the wide smile but it still felt weird to be buddy-buddy with Galinda.

"They're speaking with the Wizard now. So come on, we've got to hurry." They didn't make it to the throne room, however.

Madame Morrible intercepted the two and lead them into the courtyard, where some Ozians were already gathered, going on about how he's really done it now, how whoever is taking over the Wizard role had a mess to clean up and it was not going to be her. The Upland cousins were quite confused by her fuss as they helped set up a platform and prepared a hot air balloon.

Soon after everything was in place The Wizard with Dorothy and the others trailing behind him came out. "And here it is! Oh, Madame Morrible, Glinda, you two shall be missed but it is time for this old man to say goodbye. Come along, now dear. Once this thing is ready for take off, there's no stopping it." The Wizard carried on, calling out to Dorothy as he climbed into the basket of the balloon.

The women watched as the young girl wished her new friends goodbye. She then realized that Toto wasn't by her side. While trying to help Dorothy in her search for the small dog, the guard keeping the balloon anchored let go of the rope causing the Wizard to float away. Dorothy was distraught, holding toto to her chest as the Lion and the others comforted her.

Addelaide was too busy looking through her spell book to focus on what Madame Morrible was saying. Galinda's name was mentioned and shouts from the crowd was heard but not registered. Galinda crossed over to where Dorothy was and patted her head. "Oh you poor thing. Living in Oz won't be that bad. We'll set you up in a nice room here in the Emerald City."

Dorothy looked up, tears pooling in her eyes. "You mean you can't send me home?"

Before Galinda could answer, Addelaide called out, "I got it!"