PROLOGUE

POV: BELLA SWAN
Friday, October 27 2017

I heard his voice pierce through the darkness as I ran as fast as I could in the opposite direction.

"Isabella!"

Niklaus Mikaelson, the vampire-werewolf hybrid born over a millennium ago. I betrayed him and his family sixty-eight years ago, in 1949. I've been on the run ever since.

"You cannot run forever! You'll have to face me sometime!" He was faster than I was, and I could hear him catching up to me.

This wasn't how I'm supposed to go out. I don't want to die.

"Isabell—!"

I got knocked off my feet, and his voice cut off.

It felt like someone was pulling me back and pushing me forward at the same time. I shivered.

Panicking, realizing he'd have to be right behind me by now, I scrambled to my feet and whirled around.

There was nothing. Nobody. I was still in the forest, but somehow it looked... different. I couldn't explain it.

I couldn't hear him anymore. He just disappeared.

I noticed I wasn't breathing and inhaled deeply. Even the air felt different. Thinner.

I ran back the way I came, but I didn't see the cabin I ran out of. In its place was a different structure. It was a modernized home, huge with glass walls against a wooden frame.

I heard something behind me and ran forward, unknowing—and frankly, uncaring—of where I was going. I just needed to be gone.

I stopped running when I hit pavement. Since when was there a main road here?

I didn't recognize the place I once called home.

All I knew was that Klaus was gone. My home was gone. And I didn't know where they went.

It was like I was in another world.