Chapter 25

Aile walks up to me, her heeled boots making a soft clicking sound on the cobblestones. She folds her arms and flips her long hair out of her eyes. 

"I already have half of Malum on my side. By the time they realize you're here and how incompetent you've been as their princess, she spits, "-the other half will be on my side." 

I tip my chin and look her in the eyes. "Only half?" 

Her mouth forms a hard line. "I don't even know why you brought her here, Darien. We should just kill her." 

She places a hand on her sword. My heart rate speeds up. 

She wants to kill me. 

I squeeze my eyes shut and wait for the end to come. It never does. I slowly crack my eyes open to find Darien standing in front of me, his long fingers wrapped around the tip of the blade. 

"Ailee, we can't kill her!" he shouts. 

My eyes move to the blood dripping down the shining blade. Ailee's mouth dropped to the floor before she clamped it shut. 

Her eyes move from Darien to me. 

"I could've killed you," she says to Darien, her voice barely above a whisper. 

His eyes cloud over as he looks at her. 

"I couldn't let you do it, I agreed to let you become queen if her people deemed her to be unfit. We can't kill her until we've given her a fair chance." 

Ailee takes her sword down and shoves it back into her scabbard before storming off.

 My eyes move to Darien. 

"You said you didn't want me on the throne because of my father killing your mother." 

Darien speaks without looking at me. "I was angry, you are not your father. I will give you a fair chance." 

His baby blues move to where his sister is walking off in the distance. "Eventually Ailee will come around too."

 I gently take Darien's hand. "Let me take care of this for you."

He saved my life. Why?

He looks at me, his face fallen into a sullen expression. He nods.