Chapter 18

Ariana's P.O.V.

"Do you even know where we're going?" Darien asks, sounding annoyed. 

I ignore him and keep moving. We've been walking for at least three hours now. I'm cold, tired, hungry, and the comments he's been spouting have not been helping in the least. 

My eye light up as a stream of light shines through the tunnel. 

We're almost there. 

I quicken my steps and rush to the light, earning a "Hey, wait up!" from Darien. I keep moving until I reach the end. I'm so busy focusing on getting out, I don't realize where this tunnel leads to. Darien's warm hand wraps around my wrist and pulls me back. He shoots me a look before pushing me behind him. The tunnel opens out into the crashing waves. I look down over Darien's shoulder (courtesy of my tall height, I'm only a few inches shorter than him) and gulp. 

His eyes turn to slits as his perfectly groomed eyebrows knit together. "You said you knew these tunnels like the back of your hand." 

I laugh nervously. "Yeah, well I never made it far enough into one to reach the end."

"Well, thanks to you, we're stuck at the end of a tunnel that opens out into freezing cold waves. Not to mention, we have an entire army of pirates after us!" His voice rises with every word. He slowly advances towards me. 

My eyes widen before I gain my composure. "I-"

Suddenly, a mans gruff voice echoes in the tunnel. My eyes lock with Darien's. 

"We have company."