[ thirty eight ] detention with harris

Start from the beginning

Harper nodded quickly, "Yeah, I told him that I had a boyfriend."

Stiles sighed in relief.

"Which is why we're going as friends." Harper winced as Stiles glared at her. "What? You know me- I can't say no to people. Plus, I told him we were just going as friends, like, twice, and I made sure that he knew it, too."

Stiles scowled, "You can't go anywhere with that guy. I don't trust him, okay? He bugs me. I mean, just look at his face."

They turned around to look at Matt again, seeing him offer a crisp to Jackson, who shook his head. Scott and Harper turned around to face Stiles again, raised eyebrows.

"Any other theories?" Scott questioned.

Harper suddenly felt a piercing ache in her head, causing her to wince. She looked around the room, trying to spot who was in pain. She saw Jackson leant over in his chair, holding his head while he hissed in pain.

"What's wrong?" Stiles whispered to Harper, and Harper just jerked her thumb in Jackson's direction.

The trio watched as Jackson stood up, still holding his head as he grabbed his backpack, slinging it over one shoulder.

"I have to go to the bathroom." He announced, his voice muffled in pain.

"Are you all right?" Mr Harris asked from behind his desk, looking up in concern at the star athlete as he began to walk away. "Hey, you don't look so good."

Jackson huffed, "I just need to get some water."

"No one leaves their seats." Mr Harris warned them all before going after Jackson.

As soon as the door had closed behind him, the three best friends shared a look before darting up from their seats and going to sit at Erica's table again. Harper sat back down beside her, the boys on the other side. Erica didn't look up as she carried on writing in her book.

"Stiles says you know how Jackson's parents died." Scott whispered.

"Maybe." Erica replied bluntly, not looking up from her book.

"Erica, please." Harper sent her a look.

Erica looked up from the book, seeing the amount of despiration in her old friend's eyes made her crack. She sighed, placing her pencil and book onto the table in front of her.

"It was a car accident." She told them all. "My dad was the insurance investigator, and every time he sees Jackson drive by in his porsche, he makes some comment about the huge settlement he'll be getting when he's eighteen."

Stiles turned his nose up. "So not only is Jackson rich now, but he's getting even richer at eighteen? There's something so deeply wrong with that." He scoffed, causing Scott to nod along.

"You know what?" Erica opened her laptop. "I could try to find the insurance report on my dad's inbox. He keeps everything."

"Scott McCall, please report to the principal's office." Mrs Argent's voice suddenly came out through the intercom.

Scott shot Stiles and Harper worried looks before climbing out of his seat and heading towards the office. Harper prayed that Mrs Argent wasn't going to be waiting there with a knife or something. Harris and Jackson came back in the room as Stiles moved to stand behind Harper and Erica, leaning over them to look at the laptop screen.

"Oh, look at the dates." Stiles pointed at the screen which was now showing the insurance claim on it.

Erica began to read from the screen. "'Passengers arrived at the hospital DOA. The estimated time of death- 09:29pm, June fourteenth, 1995'."