Author's Note- The Master

So, a little bit ago I got a question from one of my friends at school who read the rough draft of this story. I figured I'd put the answer on here, to see if you guys had the same question.

The question is this (or at least generally what it was about):

How did the Seer help the Master when she was still on Gallifrey? Wasn't he already insane?

Answer:

Yes, the Master was already insane, but there is a whole lot more about this subject. The Master, of course, went insane when he looked into the Untempered Schism when he was four years old. But remember, the Seer was cursed with visions of the future when SHE looked into the Schism. So in a way, she was insane, too.

When the Master and the Seer became friends they were attracted to each other because their minds were almost constantly in strife. They saw someone in which they could confide their fears and their secrets, and eventually they were married.

So while the Seer learned to control her powers and her troubles, the Master in turn learned to control his madness and became happier. But when the Seer was banished, all progress he made in being more normal was shattered. He blamed the Doctor for her disappearance, believing he forced her to leave him, and never forgave him. The Doctor, in turn, blamed the Master, believing that she ran away from her husband's madness. Both, of course, were mistaken.

The Seer was the one that held the two Time Lords' lives together, and when she was forced to leave, both of them didn't know where to turn. 

Hopefully this helps you understand the imprtance of the Seer in the Doctor and the Master's lives.