~Chapter 15: The Funeral PT.3~

Zane's POV:

We sit in the procession room, surrounded by Nana's family, family friends, and other people that decided to have enough decency to show up. I sit in the fold out chair, Nana leaning on my arm, and Rose laying in my lap; asleep. 

The funeral is starting to come to a close I assume. I hadn't really been paying attention, really. Nana doesn't even seem upset anymore....

           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The funeral comes to an end; then had even announced it. But they tell us to remain seated as a man in a business suit steps to the front of the room and looks at all of us. He straightens his tie then looks at all of us. "Hello, ladies and gentleman. I am Richard Lolins....from Child Protective Services." The man says, and confused chatter breaks out in the room, as to why he is here.

"I am here for regards of a girl by the name of....RoseMary Lopez...?" He looks through the audience. My heart shatters a bit questionably, as I try to think about what he would want.

"RoseMary's parents are now....deceased...so we need a family member to take custody of her...So I need RoseMary to come up to the stage, please."

I hurrily shake Rose a bit to wake her up. Her eyes flutter open, and she's looks up at me with a questioning look on her face. I smile a bit behind my mask and point to the front of the room. She nods and jumps up from my arms, and skips down the aisle while giggling.

She reaches the front of the stage before the man starts talking again.
"Now. Please stand if you are willing to take her in."

I grab Nana's hand. I don't know what comes over me. But I stand up and pull her with me. I see Nana look at me, a bit confused, but she also looks touched. I look around the room and see Riley stand up and look at me, snickering a bit. No. God no.

"Please come up to the front."
                    ~~~~~~~~~

I stand at the front of the room with Nana, towards the left. Riley stands towards the right, and Rose stands in the middle. I hear a shout and my head quickly turns to the direction of where it came from. I see one of Nana's sisters, Alya, standing up.

"There is, NO WAY, that I am letting my little sister go with Riley." She says angrily. Some other people stand up and nod in agreement. Riley frowns grimly from disgust.

"Oh shut it you people. Rose loves me."

A mocking laugh breaks out, as if what she said was a joke. Riley wrinkles her eyebrows and folds her arms as she rolls her eyes.Suddenly, with out a second notice, arguing breaks out throughout the room.

"Riley would make a fine mom for Rose!!"

"Riley never took care of Rose!!! Nana did!!!"   

"But Nana has Zane, and he can be a father figure!!"

"But Nana left her anyways!!"

"STOP IT!" Alya yells even louder, looking at all of us.

I feel a panic in my chest as all of this is happening. I hold Nana's hand tighter.

"Why don't we let Rose choose." Alya suggests loudly. After a few moments, everyone nods and looks at Rose. Rose looks at Riley sadly, then at Nana. Then at me.

When her eyes meet mine, she smiles. Suddenly, in the blink of an eye, Rose runs to me and jumps into my arms.

I hug her tightly, trying to stop myself from crying. Clapping breaks out throughout the room.

"I guess she has made her choice, then." The man says with a smile on his face.

(Rewritten 💖)