27. Talking Plus Talking

Start from the beginning

What were they doing?

"Don't you understand? This has so much more to do with than just me being fired. I talked to him," my mother said. 

"They took him from us a long time ago, Charlotte, and he ain't coming back, okay?"

"But-"

"No buts. He's gone. They stole him from us and nothing is ever going to change that." 

Who is He?

My father almost sounded sober, like he hadn't had a drink for a bit of time, maybe the whole day. 

I peeked from behind my hiding spot and saw a clearing to run to the door, so that was what I did. In a few fast moments, or as fast as I could, I was out the door and felt the cold air swirling around my face. 

The air has turned colder because of the very close winter. 

I walked unusually slowly. My mind was focused on the gentle footsteps that seemed to make an endless echo through the wind. My crutches irritated my hands and made my time on this road a little too long. 

I had underestimated the cold and were shivering in my light clothes. I could turn back, but then my parents would probably notice me and start yelling again and being cold was way better than that. 

I turned the corner and raised my shoulders to my ears. A car drove past me, I watched it as it drove down the street and turned a small corner further down. 

"Nina?" 

I turned around faster than I had thought and met a pair of brown eyes. "Antonio?" 

He smiled and tilted his head. "Funny to meet you here."

"Same." 

He glided his hands down in his pockets and looked up at the night sky, which showed thousands off stars. "Yeah, I don't get to walk and see the stars a lot back in New York, so I take every chance I get here." 

"You live in New York?" 

"Yes, I am working on making my company bigger, so I can help more people getting a rightful judgment." His hair fell beautifully around his face and as his eyes met mine I couldn't make myself look away. "Anyway, why are you here?"

"Uhm... just walking." I looked away and gazed upon the night sky and the shining stars. 

"Can I join you?" he asked and took a step closer. 

"Uhm.. if you want to." I tried to smile, but it didn't really work. 

"Great, I have something to ask off you anyway," he said and walked up beside me. He looked down at me, "let's go." 

He walked slower so I could keep up and kept a friendly smile on his lips. His eyes glistened in the moonlight and his hair worked as their sleek shadow. He was like a big brother, whom always showed up when someone was needed. 

"What did you want to ask?" 

He shook his head and looked down at me. "What did you actually think the first time you saw Anthony?"

"The first time I saw Anthony I just knew I would spend a lifetime avoiding him," I said with shrug on my shoulders. 

The laugh escaped from his mouth as a newly sprung leaf. He threw his head back and held his hands around his stomach. "Avoiding him? I have never heard that one before." 

"One time need to be the first."

He laughed off. "Yeah, but still, do you really hate him?" 

I sighed. "No, I don't."