Chapter 19

When Ophelia returned home she sat on the couch in between Zoey and GD. Zoe did her best to avoid eye contact and GD just looked between the two annoyed that he was going to be dealing with arguing siblings for at least the next twenty-four hours. Ophelia unable to keep it to herself anymore sat up. She'd walked with them through everything this far leaving out this information at this point just seemed wrong. "I did something." She said.

"What?" GD turned looking away from the TV to his sister.

"Kind of, in a small way, threatened Kane. Eli's very dangerous older brother."

"You what!" GD and Zoey said at the same time as they stood grabbing Ophelia from the couch and dragging her outside to the front porch. "Why on earth would you do that?" Zoey hit Ophelia's arm. She was mad at Ophelia before but knowing she pissed off a gang member only made her worried if Ophelia could protect herself or not. Or if Ophelia had a death wish and realizing just how often she's thought that since she got the job at the juvie made her question her sanity and if they could benefit from a shrink.

"I confronted Eli's parents." Ophelia saw the shock on her sibling's face as they glared at her. "While I was there Kane showed up and I couldn't help myself. I just sort of messed with his mind. Just a little. I didn't tell him who I really was." Ophelia took a seat on the porch chair and crossed her legs." I didn't plan it."

"You know when you go to make first impressions you don't piss off the family." GD pinched the bridge of his nose. Zoey just put her hands on her hips and looked at Ophelia like she was crazy. "What if he tried to kill you?"

"Then I would have been proven right...He can't kill me." Ophelia knew that much. If Kane had gone after her more than what he did than he would have put it together and she didn't need him realizing the truth just yet. 

"You're not invincible Ophelia. If he pulled a gun on you when you back was turned--"

"I'd still take him down." Ophelia stood. "Let's just leave it at that." Ophelia stood and went back inside the house and to her room. Laying on her bed just looking at the ceiling made her feel and think about a lot.

Not going to the trail was out of the question. She wanted Eli out and his brother in more than anything. It's what's going to happen when they walk out of that courthouse that worries her. The media will have a frenzy and she'll be the target. She knew the possibility of maybe being involved in the crosshairs of the FBI is a possibility. More importantly, she'll be the target of far greater dangerous people.

What got on her mind more then the rest of the things was her parents. The people she loves and are her parents.  Andrew more than anything. Andrew helped her through her last few months of college. He watched over her and did as much as he could to keep her busy till she got the job at the Juvie. The job Andrew got for her.  Ophelia knew if he never got her that job she wouldn't have met Eli and the last couple months of her life would be completely different. She owed a lot to Andrew. 

She owed a lot to Liana. Liana was a mother to her and at times reminded her of her biological mother. Liana was there for her sibling's tears, their fevers, and fights. Ophelia knew she never cried, not even for sad movies, she had never gotten sick, and she avoided fights at all costs. She only started to loosen up and allow herself to be a proper sibling to Zoe and GD only after she'd been there a year. Liana never pressured her to do anything more than what she wanted to do even if at times others thought it a waste of a great mind. Since the moment she walked through the front door her life was changed forever. She no longer had to deal with gross foster dads and only being around for a check. Andrew and Liana truly wanted Ophelia as much as they wanted the other kids.

They were meant to be parents to kids of their own and those they chose to be heir own. It was that who they are that at times made her question if she was truly good enough to be apart of their family. Be one of their kid. It's because of all of that she knew she couldn't leave them hanging to dry with no warning.