Chapter 7

"What if the Empress finds you?" Saladorian asked with a worried look. Lyrica gazed off into the distance.

"I remember when she was such a small thing, scared and trembling under my claws. She used to be so fragile, so conforming to everything anyone older ever told her." Lyrica replied.

"Miss?" Saladorian asked.

"The professors at the old Academy just adored her. She was so innocent and young back then. She had everything. Her parents paraded her around like she was a prize. They gave her attention, pushed her to greatness. Of course I was able to prevent her from learning to fly so many times. And she was the one to graduate with honors and she was chosen as an elite soldier for the army of the mighty Naegori the Swift. Yet none of the professors acknowledged my greatness. I was merely put out in the shadow of her greatness, made to be forgotten. It was my goal to snuff her out, that bright shining light that everyone adored." Lyrica said, lost in thought.

"Miss, I've never questioned you once before, but, I was curious what started your feud with her." Saladorian timidly squaked.

Lyrica was dead silent for a whole of three minutes, with a distant stare in her eyes. And then she replied, "I LOST EVERYTHING!" In a deafening howl that shook the cave. Tears welled in her eyes, pouring down her face, and then she said, "But then Celyn took me in. She wouldn't let anything hurt me. She got me into the academy, revealed the lies my parents always told. They told me she was dead. That she was nothing but a figment of my imagination. She took care of me after they died."

"Miss, might I ask who is Celyn?" Saladorian asked in confusion.

"In a way, She is my guardian angel. And yet even I wonder sometimes if she really exists." Lyrica replied. Saladorian shrank back, questioning her sanity a whole lot more than usual.

*****

Footsteps clicked across the marble floor, a slightly uneven gait. The sound was always louder when the left leg hit the floor. The Kapybara paused for a second and tilted her head, listening to a noise off in the distance. Her spines stood on end, a common involuntary response which she was used to by now. As the noise drew closer, she could tell it was just Ravenna chasing after Thorryn. The Kapybara stuck out a hand as the dragon passed and grabbed him by the tail with her lightning quick reflexes. Despite her short stature, she was incredibly strong. Thorryn struggled and squawked in frustration, and the Kapybara let out a mild chuckle. Ravenna caught up to her, panting in exhaustion.

"Thanks!" Ravenna said, grabbing Thorryn around his middle and heaving him up. He was now the size of a full grown wolf and weighed nearly a hundred twenty pounds.

The Kapybara nodded in reply.

"How did you do that? He's so heavy!" Ravenna said through clenched teeth as she dragged Thorryn backwards. Thorryn tilted his head back and affectionately licked her face.

"I suppose it was the work dragging bodies." The Kapybara replied.

Ravenna nodded while still trying to drag Thorryn backwards. "Thorryn, you're fat." Ravenna commented. Thorryn stretched out his neck and leaned backwards, causing Ravenna to fall on her back with him on top.

"Get off!" Ravenna said, letting the dragon go. Thorryn rolled to his feet and shook himself. The Kapybara hesitantly reached out her hand before pulling it back, knowing that Ravenna could get pricked by her spines.

"Hey, it's alright. I'm a paraglisp, remember? I'm immune." Ravenna said, still laying on the floor. The Kapybara narrowed her eyes before offering her hand again. Ravenna grabbed her hand and The Kapybara pulled her to her feet. The two of them looked into each other's eyes for a moment while Thorryn glanced at the door to a nearby library mischievously.