Chapter 25

Hazel's P.O.V. 

I raised my knife, waiting for the black wolf to strike me, but he just observed me. Out of no where, he turned into a man, which was a surprise considering they're more weaker in their human form. 

"What do we have here, a bunch of hunters?" the leader seemed to question. My eyes didn't widen as the person who stood in front of me was none other than Malcolm, Alpha of Nightfall Edge. 

"Seems to me that the witches and vampires missed some hunters," Malcolm said while staring straight into my eyes. I didn't dare talk, not wanting to reveal anymore about me than what he already knows. 

"A silent one, huh?" he questioned while circling me. The wolves growled at everyone else and me to see what our next move would be. My knife stood in my hand while my bow was back on my body since Malcolm was too close to me. 

"We don't take kindly to outsiders very much," he growled once he completely circled around me. I wasn't sure what his game was, but I wasn't about to let him play the cat while I played the mouse. 

I quickly threw my knife and missed Malcolm, but struck the wolf that jumped in the air to hit Paxton. The wolf wasn't dead, but definitely injured around his rib cage. Malcolm turned to me with fury raging through his eyes. 

He shifted back in his wolf form and ran straight for me. I noticed that Lola was able to disappear in the trees and started shooting some of the wolves from up in the tree. Everyone else was down on the ground fighting the wolves with whatever weapons we had left. 

"SHIT!" I heard someone yell. I turned to Miles and saw him fighting off vampires that were now emerging from the trees. Lola quickly jumped out of the trees, considering the vampires were jumping out of them now, and started shooting them off. 

Malcolm jumped toward me while I was distracted and he fell right on me, pushing me down to the ground. I held his head back while he tried biting my head off of my neck. I managed to slash him right on his cheek and quickly kick him off me. 

As soon as I got up a vampire was right in front of me. He smiled evilly at me and I raised my right arm to stab him in his heart, but I was suddenly bitten from my left shoulder. I slashed the knife towards the vampire that sneaked up behind me and was disappointed when the blade wasn't sharp enough to cut all the way through his neck. 

I shoved the blade behind me and managed to stab the other vampire in his stomach before he could take a bit out of me. I looked at everyone and quickly whistled, signalling for a retreat before we lost someone tonight. 

We quickly ran in one direction, not towards our home, but just somewhere to get away from the wolves and the vampires that had to show up. 

"There's a cave up ahead," Dustin said. All we saw was a little lake that was only covered by a few big rocks surrounding it. 

"We're gonna have to go underwater in order to reach it, must be high tide season," he quickly explained before diving in the water. Everyone else soon followed but Paxton stayed close to me since I had difficulty swimming with my injured shoulder. It was trying to heal, but it would take a while before I would feel no more pain in my shoulder. 

Everyone stayed quiet in case a vampire or werewolf was close by and could hear us. My breathing was the heaviest as I seemed to be the one with the most damage done. I grounded my teeth to keep myself from screaming as my body worked on repairing itself. 

"Vampires and witches are trying to take us out," Paxton said after about a half hour of just waiting in the cave. No one else submerged from the water even though everyone was waiting to attack in case someone did.