Chapter 1

24 January 2040

Dear diary,

It's been 4 years since they left. I still remember watching the three of them waving goodbye, walking towards the security check, not knowing if they were ever to come back again. They were leaving 10,144 km away from Pennsylvania, to Japan. Shortly after Kate's marriage, TS's grandma in Japan was sent to the hospital, and they had decided to go to visit her. 

I remembered the loneliness I felt on the first few days, having no one by my side like I'm living in a world where there's nothing but darkness. Having no one to create new memories with, I end up remembering everything we did together. All the fun times, the sad times, but most of all, I remember all the hurt and pain I felt. He might have caused a huge amount of damage to my heart that will never be erased, but it hurts even more to be away from him.

After reading his letter, it hurts too much to know that he'll still be thinking of Kate, even if I'm right next to him. Him being away for all these years was the perfect time for me to forget everything, every sorrow, every jealousy, every pain. Even so, my legs carried me to the front of the house that used to be his, the place where it all started. Remembering every moment that happened, the tiniest things to the biggest things, they're all precious memories to me.

I can't stop thinking about what would have been if things were different. I remember my first infatuation was a boy I didn't even know. It happened at this park, in his neighbourhood. The same tree, the same swing, the exact same park from 17 years ago. I wonder what happened to the boy, the way he cried when he fell was cute, even when his face was red and snot was coming out of his nose, he was still attractive. I ran over to him and handed him the handkerchief Kate had left behind, the only thing I had at the time. I ran away right after, hiding the embarrassment in my face, not looking back.

Maybe, just maybe, if I had fallen for him,

I wouldn't be in this situation right now.

~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

The sound of a ringing phone distracted her from continuing to write her diary. She quickly put her diary beside her, on the swing she was sitting on before reaching for her phone.

'Where are you?!' Shouted the angry voice that belonged to her boss, resonating in her ear.

'Shoot!' She exclaimed before hanging up the phone, dashing away from the park.

She didn't realise she had forgotten the leftover diary on the swing.