Chapter Sixty One: I am Back

ابدأ من البداية

"Where did you get this thing?" I asked, shaking my hand beneath my cloak in a vain attempt to rid myself of the unnerving feeling that it was moving about.

"It belonged to one of my possessions, though it once held a very different spell. Humans were not always what they are now. Going blind is a slow process. At the start, they too had magic. Mostly, they used it for frivolous things like enchanted ball gowns, turning handsome men to beasts and glass slippers. Some, however, dared to slip into the Void to consort with my fellow brothers and sisters and they, like me, love making deals." Athane leaned towards me until her face blocked out everything else around me. The look in her eyes and the pleasure in her voice was chilling. "It is remarkable what a human will sell their soul for."

I felt like my blood was barely moving through my veins as I recalled the Serpent and the creature that had nearly killed me as I searched for Knut in Mab's prison. "The Beasts of the Void are your siblings too?"

"They were born of that darkness were they not?" She said. "We share the same creator. We are not all created equal, however. There are some as mindless as your subservient goblins, but there are others even greater than myself lurking down there." Her head tilted at me. "Everything is connected, Matilda and everything has its purpose. Nothing is made without meaning. I would think, having been married to the goblin king all these months, you would have learned all that by now." She swept past me, creeping to the very end of the branch. The branch bent slightly beneath her weight. "Anyway, you've nothing to fear. Those lot are quite content staying in our mother's womb and we have more...pressing concerns. Are you ready?"

"Yes," I shook myself free of my chill. The Void and whatever secrets it held were not my concern, at least not now. I had to return to my war and bring it to a swift end. I strode to her side and laid my hand into the cushion of the soft feathers on her side. "Take me back to my men. I've something I need to finish before I can enjoy a party."

Athane extended her wings. The feathers flickered to white and her old crone's face became that of the lovely maiden. Around us little stars swirled and fell like snowflakes, bathing us in their silver light. "I will tell you this, about your future, girl. Your life is one only you could endure. Best of luck to you, Goblin Queen."

Her voice began to fade as the light grew brighter and brighter. I squeezed my eyes shut against the blinding stars and opened them again to the circular inner chamber of the council's tower.

"Queen Matilda?" Snorri's voice was the first to greet me, I stood beside him, looking out at the ruined city. Below us, the goblin horde was pressed into a circle at the tower's base. Magic flew in waves of fire and sheer power and the green mist of goblin souls filled the night sky.Snorri's clothing was torn and splattered with silver, but he himself remained strong and unwavering. Not a hint of fatigue showed in his grotesque features. He gawked at me with his jaw hanging open, showing all his oversized teeth. "You're back."

His words were followed swiftly by the exuberant cheers of the thousands of goblins that remained of the horde, both within the tower and those fighting down in the streets. Yes, indeed, I was back.

"How?" How did you escape?" Lir's voice trembled as he and his fellow councilmen huddled like corralled sheep. He stared at me with disbelieving eyes.