Sirius Black x Female Reader (College AU)

Start from the beginning

You scrunch up your face and stick your tongue out at him, carrying your food to the table James, Remus, and Peter have already claimed. Lily isn't around today but you don't comment on it. James is looking extra pouty and is ranting to Peter about how he misses his girlfriend.

"You wouldn't be like that if I went on holiday would you?" You lean across the table to whisper at Sirius.

"I heard that," James complains.

"No offense," You add before quickly looking at Sirius. He looks like he's thinking extremely hard. He must see the concerned look on your face because he quickly breaks. 

"I'll be in absolute shambles my dear," He says, somehow managing to keep a straight face.

You almost believe him for a moment but quickly roll your eyes to cover it up. You take a bit into your food but Sirius isn't done yet. 

"Oh my darling, please never leave me all on my lonesome. I just wouldn't know what to do with my poor soul."

"Hook up with other girls," Remus says casually and takes another bite.

You nearly choke on your food. James is suddenly not as concerned with Lily. Even if he were Peter is too busy listening to care. 

Remus looks up, food dangling from his mouth. He lifts his hand up to cover his mouth, looking extremely guilty. His face almost turns red from the look on Sirius's face. It's not angry. It's more shock and terror. You realize then that he's more concerned with you believing Remus.

You reach out and set a hand on Sirius's hand. It grips his fork with a tension that turns his knuckles white. 

"Good one Remus," You laugh as nonchalantly as you can. 

Sirius's hand shifts under yours and he turns back to you. You smile at him. Only when his smile reaches his eyes do you turn back to your food. 

"So, Moony, when are you going to get your own girlfriend?" You ask, smirking.

Remus turns red.

"Maybe then he'd actually stop flirting with mine." Sirius sends Remus a mock look out of the corner of his eye.

"What fun would that be?" Remus laughs. 

Sirius kicks you under the table. "That hurt!" You say, pulling your leg away and reaching under the table to rub the tender spot.

"You big baby."

"Look who's talking! You're practically eating baby food."

"Applesauce is not baby food!"

"It's mushed up fruit meant for people with no teeth. Prime examples, babies."

"You're just bitter because you don't have any."

 You scoff. "As if I would want your pile of mush and sugar."

"It's delicious I'll have you know."

"So," You hear Remus's voice interject. "What's your favorite food Peter?"

"Real smooth Remus," You furrow your brow. "Great subject change."

"Well I'm sorry I don't want to listen to James's complaining or your stupid lover's quarrel any longer."

"Hey!" You, Sirius, and James all exclaim at once. 

"I like mac and cheese?" Peter says, shrugging. He shrinks away as you all look at him.

"You remind me of mac and cheese," Sirius says, using his fork to point at you.

James groans. "We get it, you have a girlfriend. Just shut up already."

"C'mon James, you've spent this whole time talking about how much you miss Lily."

He turns red but he looks even more determined to be right. "At least I don't compare her to gross things like that," He gestures to the air as if mac and cheese will appear if he wants it bad enough. 

"What's wrong with mac and cheese?" Sirius grumbles under his breath, poking at his food.

"It's sticky and gross. You can't leave any for leftovers because it just all pools in the bottom and gets soggy and yet dry! It's defies physics! It's unnatural."

"Are you saying I'm gross?" You scrunch up your eyebrows.

James stutters for a moment, "No of course not."

"You better not be," Sirius threatens. 

You roll your eyes at the two. "Okay, so we've established why James doesn't like it." You turn to Sirius. "But what about it reminds you of me?"

"I love mac and cheese," He's almost whispering. His head hangs low and he looks at you from the tops of his eyes, as though he wants to be able to pretend you're imaginary. 

Even James falls silent, his eyes look over Sirius calculatingly. 

You can't muster any words. There's a long pause and Sirius is about to look away when you finally speak. You reach for his hand and say, "Sirius I-"

"That has got to be the lamest I love you ever."

You don't know where the voice came from but you don't care. "Better than anything your sorry butt could come up with!"

Sirius bursts out laughing. 

"I love you too," You say quietly and take another bite of your food, part of you hoping it'll distract Sirius from your words. You've never said it to him before, and visa versa, until this moment. 

"Are you saying that just because I buy you food?"

"It certainly helps."

(A/N I hope you guys enjoyed this cheesy -pun intended- oneshot.)