Harry Potter x Scarlette Rose

Requested by: @scarletterose55

(A/N I finally had the time to update! Thank you for the request, I always enjoy hearing new ideas for people in search of a oneshot. I will see you all the Sunday after next. :D)

The wind blew softly as Scarlette strode across the dewy grass, but she knew it was rough and pristine high in the air where she'd soon be flying. The sun shone with promise of the try-outs she was attending. This year would be her year, the whistle of the wind through the pitches seemed to say. She held her broom with a firm, slightly nervous hand, and continued further in the grass to reach the group of collecting students. A few feet away from the congregating group was an esteemed looking handsome man. Scarlette struggled to avoid gawking at the handsome Harry Potter. The flow of students joining the group stopped, and Harry cleared his throat to speak.

"I wish you all good luck in trying out for the team. Keepers group near the pitches, beaters against the stands, chasers in the center, and Seekers across the yard from the beaters."

Scarlette joined beaters against the stands. There were no Seekers, no one could beat Harry. She did not expect to get the position, maybe barely a replacement in case of accident. But there was no harm in trying. She'd been spending late afternoons on the yard countless of times. Quidditch was all there was to love in life, and tryouts were just another opportunity to spend time in her favorite place, the air. 

When it came her turn, she mounted her broom with a familiar grace and flew high into the air. Higher than any of the others went, but only by enough that she could enjoy the wind and still reach the bludger before them. Real bludgers were being used. She didn't think it was a safe idea, but it wasn't her place to doubt the captain. They knew more about the dangers than she did, they had played in the field for years and longer. Only one Bludger was released, and as it flew forward from its case it flew straight at Scarlette. There were only two other people trying out for the Beater position, and the second it was released they fled upward, into the safe skies high above her. She was memorized by the heavy object, it whizzed past with a deep whistling just as she dodged to the side. It flew past then swerved around back towards her. She were still the closest player. She took her bat in a strong grip and a deep breath, she launched forward. The broom under her lurched forward at an alarming rate and she took a swing at the Bludger. The ball was a black sphere of imminent danger and in the moment she reached a thought of rationality. This was dangerous and stupid. She immediately stopped, trying to swerve away from it. But it was too late and she was too close. In panic she lurched to the side heavily, too sharp of a twist for her broom, and fell off.

The ground lurched and spun and stopped then spun again and the wind blazed with a fury. The familiar, friendly wind now screamed in her ear, joining the screams of people. The familiar whiz of a broom heading towards her. The familiar ground of diving on her broom. The familiar feeling of sleep as she shut her eyes and her body shut down from the shock.

Another jerk.

Lurching in some direction she could no longer feel. The wind slowed and the ground was no longer in sight, only the bright familiar sky and the comforting sight of ruffled dark hair. Harry leaned about Scarlette and hugged her tightly to keep her from slipping off his broom. He shook her slightly, staring worriedly into her eyes.

"Are you alright?"

She did not respond, she looked around her, absolutely dazed. The ground was only a few feet away and Harry was not on his own broom. The one he rode was old and worn. One arm was around her back, the other reaching over her legs to hold the broom.

"Can you speak?"

Again, she did not speak. It seemed odd. The surroundings so familiar and inviting, nearly killing her. She shook her head, not to Harry but to herself. Quidditch didn't do this, she told herself. Quidditch is good. Stupidity and fear got me here.