SatS - Chapter 12: Shattered

Start from the beginning

Not now, not ever.

"What do you think happened?" Sade called as he pulled out his stones.

"Let's get there and find out," I said as I increased our speed.

"Don't worry, they are good children with a level head" he added.

"Who said I am worrying?" I grunted as I jumped over an old fallen, rotting tree trunk.

"Oh please" Spade huffed "Just because it's been many years, does not mean things have changed much. I was your friend remember? We were almost like brothers"

Before you threw it all away... A voice at the back of my mind whispered.

I shook my head.

Not now.

 Must get to Swift. Must ensure she is safe. I could not live with myself if she is hurt under my watch.

"There! that must have caused the bang!" I said, pointing to the large broken tree.

Spade gasped.

"What was large enough to cause that?"

We are about to find out... I thought as we broke into the clearing.

"Pup!" I called as my eyes widened and muscles tensed. An old power rushed through my bones and I felt a need I thought long lost.

But before I can jump in, Spade attacks.

One of his juggling crystals smashed into the gigantic serpent, sending it tumbling.

"Not on my watch... he muttered, anger seeping through his words and form as he marched forward towards the snake.

He never was one to see a child hurt...

I rushed to Swift's Side, helping her stand.

"Are you hurt?" I asked, looking for wounds.

She is ruffled and disorganized, cuts and bruises marking her skin.

Where is her sword? I thought as I looked up to the fight.

I blinked in surprise as I saw it sticking out of the Snakes eye, making his movements jagged and unstable.

A smirk tugged at my lips.

That's my pup.

"Not me but Barnes..." she replied, her voice tight as she pointed to the boy.

Looking over to him, I found him in a worse state than Swift.

Somehow he is still walking, though wonky, with blood dripping down his chin as the shadow child attempted to stabilise him.

What had happened to him?

Swift reached towards him.

"Watch out!" Jack called, and I snapped towards the fight.

"Enough of this-s-s!" THe snake hissed as he came towards us

"No!" Swift screamed.

The boy barely lat loose a sound as the serpent tore into his side.

No! I thought as I got ready to pull my sword and fight, but Jack beat me to it once again, throwing a glance my way with worry. Well more specifically to the girl beside me.

"No!" Swift screamed again with a familiar sense of anguish that once I held.

I grabbed her around the waist.