Chapter 7.2 Epistemology

Orphan.

The voices whispered in her head, illusive echoes of the wind. 

Foster care... 

Delinquent.

They set her mind adrift and into the past. Adolescents without guidance fell under merciless criticism, often under the wrong pair of eyes. The difference between peer pressure and parents was that peers lacked the luxury of hindsight, and hindsight was never a luxury.

"It will loosen you up..."

Thanks to a white slit between the leaves, Jessica maintained a clear view of the sidewalk. She stood between classmates, incognito under shaded bushes, one among a group of four teenagers in red skirts and white sleeves. Every shirt pocket bore a distinct gold and red triangle, School of Albion stitched above. Far behind the evergreen nook lay the academic terrace: three classroom floors and three wings folded into a U around the courtyard. Behind the structure resided the overgrown garden, where students spent their recess and after-school leisure.

The brunette beside Jessica repeated, "It will loosen you up." She smiled lazily, green eyes drooping. She brandished a tin container the size of a matchbox, with miniature syringes. "And there's more where that came from if you keep it crisp."

Giggling, two other girls reached across Jessica to pass the tiny instruments. She didn't need any, however, because she already held one. Even in her hand, the pink contents were a mystery. 

"So what is this called?" she said with a grimace.

"It's called, 'Do it, Jess.'"

Too bad her friends were never clever. A chance to laugh every now and then wouldn't have been so bad, but high school never paved the way. A tug on her shoulder brought her mind back; another classmate: brown eyes, brown skin, blonde dye, and a toothy smile. 

"Mesnomer is literally a trip," said the girl. "For you, it can do wonders, Jessica. Like, stressing over work all the time, like, the lame teachers. Like, your parents. You need this."

"Mirk, shut the fuck up!" said the blonde on the far right.

"What?" Mirk said dumbly, then nearly rolled on Jessica's thousand-yard expression. "Oh..."

The green-eyed brunette slogged on Jessica's other shoulder. "All you have to do is try it. And if you like it, come to me – My dad has plenty just lying around. But shh..."

Maybe I should try it. Every second chipped at volition. What do I have to lose? 

Mirk squealed blissfully in Jessica's ear, the girl's head reeling upward with a smile wider than normal. She had taken another dose, a look of pleasure secreting from her pupils. Like she was someplace else. 

That's all that mattered. It came down to nothing more and nothing less than being anywhere other than where she was. Away from the present. Away from reality.

Low footsteps suddenly knocked on the curb. At first, the girls were unfazed, cloistered in leaves. Then they heard, "What are you doing in there?" 

The brunette shut the drug case. "Fuck!" she whispered. While the natural blonde, still in her right mind, grabbed Mirk from the ground and dragged her away. Jessica stayed. 

It was still in the palm of her hand, the Mesnomer. Some random person on the sidewalk was of no concern. Shrugging, Jessica rolled up her sleeve.

"Why don't you come out of there?" the voiced resumed.  An old lady voice. Old lady voices had the natural and ultimate tone of authority. "I've got my camera out. I'll record you if I have to."