twenty-two » found

Start from the beginning

I heard more footsteps moving about before Jasper's war cry sounded around us all, our signal to attack.

"NOW!" the brunette yelled, his axe stuck deep in a guard's arm.

We all began to attack, wooden legs flailing about, Harper's machine gun going off (which she acquired earlier on from a guard that tried to take her), punches being thrown. There was no holding back, and for once, I thought we were actually going to make it.

"Retreat! Retreat!" the leader of them all yelled, and I recognised him, but I didn't know where from.

They all did as they were told – well those who weren't dead or injured – and grins plastered across all of our faces as we claimed a victory.

"We did it! Seal the barricade!" Jasper yelled, pointing to the door. He was covered with the blood of his enemies.

Before anyone could make a move however, the helpless screams of a girl caught our attention. Everybody's eyes were on the cameras and we saw a young girl – her name was Fox, I recalled. She was being dragged away by some guards.

"Jasper! You promised!" she cried, and we all watched with despair, unable to do anything.

"Fox! No!" Jasper tried to run out the door, but Miller dragged him back as Harper and a few others barricaded the door.

"She'll be okay," Miller whispered as he pulled a trembling Jasper in for a hug.

"I promised her..." Jasper mumbled between his sobs, and I could only watch as everybody broke apart just a little bit more.

***

We couldn't do more than wait and prepare once again. Not knowing what was happening to Fox, whether she was still alive... it was driving everyone insane.

All I could think about was whether Lexa and Clarke were on their way to help us. Had they finally made a plan worth executing? Bellamy soon came to mind, too. Was he in danger? Had he been found? Is that why we hadn't heard from him? I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I knew Bellamy had been found out. I urged him to sneak in here in the first place. Octavia could lose her brother because of me. I was the problem here.

"They're gonna come in a lot harder next time, you know that, right?" Miller stated the obvious, looking between us all.

Jasper rubbed his neck anxiously. "We'll hold the flood until we find a way out."

"We're gonna need more than a bucket of water and four guns to do that," Miller retorted, glancing around at the state of the Mess Hall. I could see the uncertainty in his eyes.

"This is President Wallace talking to the kids who just killed ten of my men," a voice crackled through the radio Monty had on him. It was Cage Wallace.

"Uh, guys..." Monty began nervously, pulling the radio from his pocket and holding it out for us all to hear clearly.

"I thought we'd try something a little different this time. There's only thirty minutes of oxygen left in Maya's suit." Everyone's eyes widened and we looked to the cameras instantly. Maya was being escorted into the hallway, wearing a hazmat suit. "I know she's a friend of yours. In thirty minutes, your friend will either suffocate or burn. But you can save her. All you have to do is surrender."

***

Maya was brought into the Mess Hall immediately. She was sat on a table with Jasper, Harper, Monty and I by her side.

"You're okay," Jasper breathed out with relief, still not yet letting go of her hand. I could see the concern in his eyes as he looked over her. His feelings for the girl had obviously intensified since I'd be gone.