twenty-two » found

Start from the beginning

"We need them if we are to get out of here," I answered, and my tone was slightly defensive. "They aren't in the wrong. Lexa- erm, their Commander, she is a good person. She and Clarke are formulating a plan to get us out of here. To save us all. The Mountain Men are the bad guys, okay? They are the evil ones. Together, we can defeat them. But that means co-operation."

Majority of the group nodded in agreement, but some were still reluctant to accept the idea of us working as one. It was completely understandable, I mean. Their friends and family were murdered by Grounders, but that was before anyone knew anything about each other. We had to forget about the past and focus on the present if we were to get anywhere.

"I take it you figured out who you are," Monty said, causing me to turn around and see them all staring at me as if I were a different person. But in a good way, if that made sense.

I cracked a hopeful smile. "I think so. Though, I'm still getting there. But never mind that. We need to get out of here. There's only so much the others can do..."

Harper nodded. "Exactly. We managed to take this level, but we'll be screwed if we can't keep it. They are trying to come in here. They've been taking people and not bringing them back. Nobody knows whats happening. So we're preparing to fight back."

I glanced around and realised everyone was rushing around because they were making weapons, planting traps. They were defending themselves.

I chewed on the inside of my cheek. "How many have been taken?"

They all exchanged weary glances.

"Three," they said in unison.

I cursed inwardly and nodded. "Right, we need to get to work then."

"This level has been irradiated, so they'll be wearing hazmat suits," Jasper reminded everyone. "We can get beat them, especially because they won't be carrying guns. They need us alive if they are to take our bone marrow, so they won't kill us."

My eyes widened. "What?!"

After a brief and quick explanation about how the Mountain Men needed theirs (and now my) bone marrow, I helped them all build weapons and set traps so that we would be somewhat prepared for when the Mountain Men tried to attack and take some of them again.

It was almost twenty minutes later when Monty called us over to see the cameras he'd rigged up out in the hallway. It allowed us to see when they were coming so we would be prepared.

"Some of them aren't wearing hazmat suits," Monty thought aloud, his voice quiet and worried.

"Which means...?" Miller pressed, his grip on the pipe in his hand tightening.

Monty looked between us, his eyes darkening. "It means they're cured and the marrow treatments are working."

The thought of Doctor Tsing killing our friends angered me even further. She wouldn't quit, would she? She was honestly willing to go this far to survive. It was disgusting.

"GET THIS DOWN!"

We all jumped in fright at the unexpected sound of a guard on the other side of the door. According to the cameras, they were just opposite us, a metal door separating us from one another.

"Get ready!" Jasper yelled to everyone, and all of us ran to our places and laid on the floor, feigning death. It was all part of the plan.

"Give it up!" another guard yelled, before the loud noise of our barricade being torn down was heard.

The heavy footsteps of the guards entering the Mess Hall was heard, and I held my breath with anticipation and impatience. The wooden spike I made from a chair leg was in my hand, surprisingly still intact despite my tight grip.