Chapter 8

The next morning, we left pretty much before sunrise so that we could catch up to the orcs and find Merry and Pippin.

"Their pace has quickened." Aragorn says while lifting his head off the rock, "They must have caught our scent."

"Come on, Gimli." Legolas yells at him.

We are running on mountain tops and around a beautiful country. We are running as fast as they can. I stop, kneel down and pick up a leaf-brooch.

"This looks just like ours..." I say, "Odd that one is here... The hobbits passed this way!" Aragorn comes up to me.

"Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall." he says.

"They may be still alive."

We keep running and we get on the top of some boulders. We stop to catch our breath.

"Rohan." Aragorn says quietly, "Home of the Horse-lords. There is something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures. Sets its will against us."

We keep running down the rocks.

"Legolas! What do you Elf-eyes see?" Aragorn yells at him. Legolas looks in the distance.

"The Uruks turn Northeast. They're taking the hobbits to Isengard!" He yells back.

"Saruman." Aragorn and I say together.

******************************************************************************

"The red sun rises, blood has been spilled this night." Legolas says.

"Let's hope it wasn't the hobbits." I say.

Aragorn bends down looking at the ground. We hear horses. He stands up and gestures us to follow him in hiding behind a rock. Riders ride up over the hill. Aragorn seems to know who they are, he steps out of behind the rocks.

"Riders of Rohan, what news from the mark?" he says yelling. They all turn around and ride towards us. They circle around us and point their spears at us. What seems to be their leader walks up to us.

"What business does an elf, a man, a dwarf and a... woman have in the Riddermark? Speak quickly!" he says kind of mad.

"Your real name, horse master and I shall give you mine." Gimli tells him.

"I would cut off your head, dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground." he said insulting Gimli. Legolas raises his bow and all the spears come closer to him.

"You would die before your stroke fell." he said. Aragorn lowers Legolas's bow.

"I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn, this is Gimli son of Gloin, Legolas of the woodland realm and Alexa of the Lymphea forest. We are friends of Rohan, and of Théoden your King." Aragorn says.

"Théoden no longer recognizes friend from foe." he says taking his helmet off, "Not even his own kin." The riders raise their spears. "Saruman has poisoned the mind of the King and claimed lordship over his lands. My company are those loyal to Rohan, and for that we are banished. The white wizard is cunning. He walks here and there they say, as an old man, hooded and cloaked, and everywhere his spies slip past our nets."

"We are no spies." I say

"We track a party of Uruk-Hai westward across the plain. They have taken two of our friends captive." Aragorn states.

"The Uruks are destroyed, we slaughtered them during the night." he said sorry for us. He whistles. "Hasufel, Arod. May these horses bear you to better fortune than their former masters. Farewell." then he walks to his horse and mounts. "Look for your friends, but do not trust to hope. It is forsaken in these lands. We ride north!" he says to the riders and they all ride off.

We watch them ride off. We then mount on our horses. Legolas and Gimli mount on the white horse. Aragorn and I mounts on the sorrel colored horse. We then ride off towards the smoke.

*****************************************************************************

When we got there it smelt bad. It's was the worst thing I ever smelt in my life. I can't describe the smell but you would not like it. Uruk-Hai smell bad. Imagine that smell with burnt metal, hair and Uruk-Hai. We dismount off our horses.

Aragorn kicks one of the orc helmets and then shouts. He then falls onto his knees and puts his head down.

"We failed them." Gimli says. I look around.

"A hobbit lay here, and the other." I say, "They crawled."

"The tracks lead away from the battle," Aragorn tells us, "into Fangorn Forest."

"Fangorn Forest," Gimli states, "what madness drove them in there?"

"I don't know." I say.  We all look at each other. We make our way into Fangorn Forest.