Chapter 35

Annika

     Her lips quivered, just as her freezing skin. She pulled the wool closer around her limbs. Exhaustion clawed at her bones, crushing them with need for slumber. 

     There was a small flame flickering on a thin candle. The darkness fought the illumination, allowing minimal glow. The subtle light caressed the features of a beautiful man. His skin was light brown, perfect when paired with his large hazel eyes. His thick, black brows slashed above his blank gaze, stark against the shortly trimmed, blonde curls on his scalp. 

     Annika had awoken on a thin mattress. And now the two regarded each other with suspicion. 

     She broke the silence, but didn't dare raise her voice about a whisper. "Who are you?" 

     He frowned, mouth tensing, pressing together lush lips. "I am Adris, Guardian to the paramount of darkness." He was just as low, with gentleness she didn't expect. His serene voice seemed to only add to his lethal aura. 

     "Paramount of darkness," Annika repeated to herself. So there were paramounts for many things such as darkness? What other paramounts were out there? "Guardian?" 

     His frown did not lessen. "I protect the lands belonging to my paramount and monitor its activities to ensure all is well. So far, I do not deem you a threat. Though answer me this: how have you ended in this destination?" 

     Annika felt less tense at his admission. She had a feeling that Adris was a just male, and did not fight unprovoked. "I was attacked, and I fought back. My attacker was a transporter and took us here by accident. He was the one chasing me, and that is how I ended up in the water." She shivered when she thought of Zyhed, the vile being. Her body still throbbed from his imprinting assault. The invading force of his hands would haunt her longer than most. 

     "Who are you and who is your attacker?" His voice did not necessarily carry question. They both knew that she could not deny him something so little as truth. He saved her, and held the most power in his hands.

     "I am Annika, and my attacker was Zyhed, the former king of Might Empire." 

     His dark eyebrows rose in shock, but Adris was quick to compose himself. "I heard talk of your story. The former slave girl who defied the mad king. Impressive." 

     Annika blushed at his praise. "Thank you."

     "There are also whispers of your powers. I must ask. Are you a paramount?" Curiosity shone across that green hazel. She felt rather like a subject under the watchful eye. 

     "My mother was," she admitted, "though I am not sure that makes me a Paramount."

     Adris nodded. "It does, but only if you are a single child. I have met many like you. Your mother was Nylla?"

     Annika's eyes widened. "You knew her?" She had an unquenchable thirst for further knowledge of her parents. 

     He crossed his arms over his muscular chest. "I met her once. My paramount was very fond of her. He saw her as a younger sister. It devastated him when she passed." 

     "Does that mean you will help me get out?" Annika couldn't restrain the hope in her voice. 

     He sighed. "I would if possible, but only the paramount is able to enter and extract you."

     Annika resisted the urge to physically deflate at his discouraging words. "How can you contact him?" 

     "Night does not visit frequently. In fact, I have not seen him in what I assume to be years."