"Why?" Annika found herself demanding. 

      "Even shadows need light. If you have not noted, there is no illumination in this place." 

     She nodded in understanding, though she did feel slightly hopeless. "Your leader does not visit, yet you stay here?"

     He tilted his head at her in interest. "Of course. It is my duty." There was no further explanation. He assumed that would be enough. She decided she would not prod him for answers that were not necessarily significant.

     Annika shivered as the coldness thickened in Adris's minimal cabin. The walls were thin, not made with the purpose of comfort. "Can you contact him?" 

     He shook his head. "We do not speak unless Night desires so."

     Annika began to panic. It could be years before there is even a chance to escape. Her breaths were shallow and uneven. 

     It was too dark, and without her abilities, her eyes strained to make out what was before her. Darkness clouded in around her frame, squeezing with an unrelenting grip.

     Adris stared and Annika with curiosity, yet did not appear to sympathize with her. "Is it really so frightening? The darkness?" 

     She nodded, hating how weak she felt. "I just want Soren." She wanted his strong arms around her, cradling her close, sheltering her from the dangers of the world. He was what made life better, and now they were separated. Going too long without him brought on a whole new type of pain. 

     "Knowing the reputation of Soren, I would presume he finds Night rather quickly. Your distress is unwarranted."

     Annika swallowed, but failed in responding. Her desperation was pure enough to heavily dampen her will. Too much had happened in little time. 

     "Child," Adris claimed with a lethal hush that was naturally intimidating, "you are weak. I do not insult you. Your body has taken too much strain. You must rest if you plan to take any further action." Annika nodded, but she remained sitting. 

     "What if Zyhed comes?"

     His eyes hardened. "He is not on his own land anymore. This is not his home. He has no power here. I do."

     Annika couldn't stop her trembling. "You don't know Zyhed. He is so evil. Too evil. He is not defeated easily, not even by darkness." 

     "Sleep," Adris responded before standing, "it is time I scan." Without uttering another word, he exited the small cabin, shutting the door in silence. 

     Annika lain back against the slim material, and held the blanket tightly around her physique. For some time, she stared at the tiny flame held by the melting candle. It flickered but remained steady with flecks of orange and red and yellow and white. Her eyes were transfixed on something so small, something she had shamefully considered slight before. 

     It was so quiet, so soundless. She wondered why the darkness was so silent. The fact that roaring sounds were not constantly blasting terrified her. 

     Whatever was out there refused to make noise, with the malicious intent to slice through her vulnerable flesh with murky claws. 

     She truly hoped that Adris knew what he spoke of. 

     Her eyelids drifted downwards, stuffing her sight once more in the lightless. 

     She thought of a bright blue sky, filled with puffy white clouds. Her toes were cooled in the plush, soaked green. Scents of recent rainfall wafted into her nose, creating a soothing recipe. 

The Enchanting Rapture (#1)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें