Chapter XVIII

Calanthe

Calanthe was shocked at his vicious reaction. She looked away from the people and at her surroundings. Not a mile from where they stood a huge hill rose out of the ground. Unlike ordinary hills this one was full of sharp angles and rock faces. On top of it, she noticed a few structures, evidence that these people would live on even the most rugged surfaces.

All at once people spilled out from the doorways and side streets. They all stared threateningly at the group of foreigners.

"We know who you are, you scoundrels." The stout man waved his pitchfork wildly.

The group was surrounded. Calanthe unconsciously took a step towards Ranvir and the centre of the group.

"Viking scum" hissed a tall thin woman a few feet away from her. The blonde haired girl looked into the gaunt face of the woman in surprise. Her eyes were glassy as though she was removed from the situation all together.

"We don't want anymore of your type around here! Go back to hell and tell the rest of your friends to stay there." Calanthe looked around in terror. The city folk all had threatening body language. It was obvious that they weren't surrounding them for an explanation, not that Ranvir's reason for being there was anything innocent. As the moments went on, more and more people appeared in the crowd. The sheer number of people surrounding them was more than Calanthe had ever seen before. Some of them were armed while most sported clenched fists.

The stout man walked forward. The tips of his pitchfork pointed straight at Ranvir. "I say you leave Edinburgh before we get mighty angry." He glanced around himself at the crowd before spitting at Ranvir's feet.

Although Calanthe could sense Ranvir's surprise, his face was on the contrary. It was a face carved out of rock, unmoving and with no expression.

Bjorn leaned over and murmered something in Ranvir's ear. The man in front of them looked between them. His head whipped back and forth like a sparrow.

Calanthe looked at Hilda, she sensed that if either of them wanted to join their own society again, this was the moment. Hilda's large eyes looked around her but her body was positioned close to Even, Calanthe knew the girl would have to decide between him and her freedom. She also knew that Hilda wouldn't want to choose. So Calanthe stood there, caught in a dilemma, torn between staying with the people that she knew or leaving to join free society.

Before she could make the choice, it was ripped from her.

The boy's rushed footsteps could be heard for quite some time before he appeared. His bare feet slammed against the hard ground. His own adreniline pushed him on.

"Father! Father!" the small boy suddenly appeared in front of the stout man. "The forest is on fire!"

An echo of gasps washed past the Viking group. Every single person turned to look back at the way they had come. A sense of dread was deep in Calanthe's stomach. Did burning the twins start that massive pillar of smoke?

The flames weren't apparent yet, but once alerted, Calanthe could smell the smoke. Everyone could see it as well. It rose like a tower over the forest, a whitish grey column swirling into the sky. Her eyes may have been playing tricks but later she swore she could see the flames licking at the tops of the trees.

Any sense of calm vanished. Suddenly everyone was rushing around the stationary group, a new threat at play.

Ranvir

It was a long journey to be sure, but they knew the way and knew how to avoid the obstacles. They would have to avoid the forest this time around and follow the coast back. Ranvir knew that there was no possible way to take what was worth in this city. They had lost the most important thing: the element of surprise. He also knew that there wouldn't be any other settlements large enough to get what they need. Ideas of wealth and more warriors were abandoned. He needed to get his people out of here.

"I think it's best if we go back to the boats." Ranvir said heavily. He pushed past people and made a way to the outskirts of the city. Everyone followed pursuit immediately. There was a heavy hand of guilt on Ranvir, he guessed it was the ceremony that had started the fire.

"It was you!" the thin woman screeched behind them. Zetta turned to look back, but Bjorn put one of his large hands on her shoulder and steered her forward.

The shrill cry had alerted everyone to their presence once again. Ranvir quickened his stride as people stopped and stared at them, pausing in their antics.

Suddenly they were being chased. It was an angry mob of people. The group's senses were assaulted by smoke and the angry shouts of the people behind them. They rounded a corner and continued down another street.

Something hit Calanthe on the back of her head and she stumbled. Wide eyed, Ranvir looked behind him at the angry mob of people. All of their faces were marked with scowls. The group was mostly men but a few women and children were swept along in the angry tirade. The screechy thin woman had her hand in the air, it was evident she was the one who had thrown. They were met with more violence than he had expected. Every person has the instinct to flee. Being chased by a large group of angry humans triggered that as much as if it was any other animal. Grabbing Calanthe's upper arm, Ranvir started to run. He was closely followed by the others.

They headed towards the direction of the sea. Twisting and turning down the streets, they had no time to check that everyone was following. The dark streets flashed past in a blur.

A few times Ranvir thought Calanthe recognised the area as she would drive forward suddenly before Ranvir ducked down another street and she slowed again.

Suddenly they broke out onto farm ground. Out of the city bounds, they followed the small string of building down to the water. Ranvir didn't check if they were still being followed as he dragged Calanthe by her arm down to the sea.

The sand crunched below their feet when they walked onto the beach. Buildings were still scattered around and the city was not far away. With a glance over his shoulder Ranvir noticed that they were no longer being followed. Luckily everyone was still following, although Frode and Caridad brought up the rare quite some distance behind. Ranvir veered left and slowed his pace.