Prologue

Stars twinkled down from a a dark blue velvet sky on a ship that sailed determinedly forward on the cold waters of the North Sea.
"Finally she sleeps." Whispered Zahra to her husband Erland. He peered down at the small girl of six summers old cradled as if she was still a baby in his wife's arms. He opened his lips to speak but was interrupted by a shout from the upper deck.

"Land! Land! I see land!" Suddenly the quite atmosphere turned into a noisy active one. All around Zahra and Erland people woke and stretched. Their eyes brightened with an enthusiasm not seen in days. People stood up and jostled past the small family to get to the deck. The small girl was disturbed and opened her wide blue eyes to stare into the faces of her parents.

"My pretty flower, we are here." Cooed Zahra to the small child. Suddenly a shout from above screamed in terror.

"Rocks! Rocks! Turn hard lef-" But the voice was was cut off because at that moment an ear splitting shriek of wood against rocks filled the air.

...

"My pretty flower?" Calanthe opened her eyes to squint into the bright unforgiving sun. Her father Erland crouched above her with tears in his eyes. Calanthe tried to speak but instead retched. The taste of salt stuck to the back of her throat. She realised then that she was damp and crusted in sand. Quickly the girl sat up and faced the scene around her. Broken pieces of wood and belongings were strewn all over a sandy beach. Bodies lay face down at the edge of the surf and the shore. The small waves lapped at their torn clothing wishing they could drag the heavy bodies back under to their lair. A familiar face lay beside her. She would recognise that face anywhere.

"Mother?" She whispered. There was no reply. Panic bubbled up her throat threatening to overwhelm her. "Mother?" She screamed her thin arms latching onto the unresponsive woman's shoulders.

"Shhh, shhh Calanthe" Her father tried to pry her off Zahra's dead body. "We must leave, we cannot help her." Calanthe collapsed in grief. Erland quickly picked her up and stumbled up the beach to try to make it to the line of trees that would offer them both protection from whatever may lie in wait on the unfamiliar shores. The girl just cried on his shoulders.

When they made it to safety Erland put Calanthe on the ground between two green bushes. Her father opened his mouth to say something but saw the grief in her eyes and appeared to change his mind. "Stay right here Calanthe. I will go and get your mother so we can properly bury her. Do not leave this spot until I am back. Do you understand?" Her father probed. With a sniffle she nodded, the tears making trails down her face. Her wet cheeks glistening in the dappled sun that shone through the leaves and onto her face.

Erland pecked her on the cheek then turned and ran down the beach to his fallen wife. Suddenly, a group of men on horseback rode onto the beach. They shouted to one another as they surveyed the damage. Erland dragged his wife's body with vigour towards the tree line and prayed to Thor that they somehow would not spot him. Thor did not answer his prayers. He was quickly circled by half a dozen men on horseback and faced their swords. They spoke to him in their native language, a language that Erland was not familiar with. "I just want peace. Please have mercy." His words seemed to anger the men further when they realised he could not speak their native tongue. One quite man with eyes of fire signalled to the men. A sword glinted in the light before it was thrust deep into Erland's chest. His eyes swivelled to a hidden Calanthe before he took a deep breath and let out a hideous groan. He fell beside Zahra. Side by side they lay, death's dark cloak draped over them.

Calanthe screamed at the sight of both her parents dead in the middle of the sandy beach. She ran out from the cover to their bodies, not caring about the men, their horses or the swords at their sides. She was a small girl, only six summers old.