Chapter 9: Cute Mutated Penguin

Start from the beginning

The bustling of the busy streets under her rang in her ears. She looked over and watched people walk on the sidewalks and cars jammed together due to heavy traffic, a smile lingered on her lips, New Yorkers were always in a hurry to get places.

But I am still stuck in one placea voice taunted in the dark corners of her mind. She sighed and turned her gaze to the sky once more, the sun was disappearing behind one of the towers that stood in her line of vision. Her mind began to wander. She began to think about her friends, her life and then to the existence of her new powers.

She pondered the idea of flying; it sounded impossible but then again so where human’s with god like powers. Flying would make things a lot easier for her, like sneaking out of the apartment without getting caught or just having the best time of her life.

Then an idea sparked into her mind, immediately lighting up her emerald eyes, it was a crazy idea and she knew if Ben found out he would send her to a mental institute. But the curiosity was killing her.

Turning away from the railing, she hastily exited the balcony and past the lab and straight to her bedroom. Susan wasn’t in the bedroom and she was glad, she opened her wardrobe and began rummaging through some boxes in search for a special item.

There you are She smiled holding the material in her hands, she hugged the suit to her chest and got to her feet before rushing out of the bedroom and to the balcony once again, without being noticed by Reed or anyone else, or so she thought.

Johnny who just emerged from his bedroom was surprised to find Elise carrying some sort of fabric in her arms, Johnny quickly hid behind his door to avoid being seen since Elise gazed down the corridor suspiciously before she made her way to the lab.

What are you up to? He questioned himself before steadily opening the door and stealthily followed her. He walked in to the lab only to find Reed working on the chalk board.

Johnny frowned seeing no Elise but then a sudden movement from his right caught his eye, outside in the balcony. With his eyebrow arched in curiosity he silently moved to the balcony. He slide open the door to find Elise standing in front of the railing and wearing what seemed to be a wing suit.

Johnny bit his lip to prevent the urge to laugh, Elise looked ridiculous in the parafoil suit with the flaps under her arms and between her legs, and she looked like mutated penguin of some sort.

A very cute mutated penguin.

 “What are you doing?” His voice startled her; she spun around quickly with wide terrified eyes.

“Don’t sneak up on me like that.” She hissed snarling at Johnny who continued to smile.

“Now, you see the way you reacted, I can tell you are up to no good.” Johnny mused, taking casual strides towards her as she continued to glower at him.

“So? What are you going to do about it?” She challenged with an upturn of her chin, he towered over her smirking down at her scowling expression.

“Show support,” He answered swiftly, she was taken back.

“What?” Johnny smiled at the bewildered expression on her face; he shrugged carelessly and began to stroll around her.

“Look you are the only one other than me who sees this as a gift and not a curse, so why not?” She watched him with calculating jade eyes that he loved, her eyes were such a deep green, and it was the first he had seen.

“So, what were you trying to do?” Johnny asked after clearing his throat; Elise was silent for a moment before averting her gaze to her wing suit.