3.12 | Touch of Reality

Começar do início

"He has them." He whispered back terrified to even say it aloud. His dejected and broken voice continued to tug at the strings of my heart.

"Yes, and they are counting on you. Remember what di always says? Be patient. You can't let your emotions get the worse of you right now, Arnav. We have to think with a calm head. Clear mind."

"We have to be smarter." Armaan walked up to stand next to us. Arnav's hold around me loosened just a bit as he looked at him, but still keeping me close to him. "Arnav... The few hours when Khushi was missing had been hell for me. I was running around blind trying to find her with no luck. So, I know what you are going through right now."

Arnav finally listening to both of us and worked on collecting himself. I reminded them, looking at Arnav, "If he has them, he has to be in this town. Why don't you...?"

Arnav caught on to my upcoming words and already started going through his phone to call NK. I glanced at Armaan, asking him silently to stay by him. He nodded in response and I left to check on Aarav and also get the first aid kit to clean up Arnav's wound.

When I returned, Arnav was again pacing as he talked on the phone. I quietly took his hand and dragged him to the couch where I made him sit.

"Yeah... no, can you come here instead? I can't leave Aarav alone at home... Okay, thanks."

I carefully picked the pieces of glass off his skin, cringing myself at having to do it. It has to hurt... but there was not a wince on his face. Not even a flinch. I suppose I could understand that. There was a turmoil within him concerned for his sister and best friend. This superficial wound was the last thing on his mind. Still, I informed, "This'll sting a bit," just before pressing the cotton ball dipped in antiseptic over his knuckles one by one.

At the deeper cut, he flinched. I blew air to ease the burn. "Don't go punching things next time." I looked up through my lashes intending to glare at him, but there was a calming smile on his.

Amidst the circumstances, he found my concern for him a cause to smile – even if just for a moment.

. . . ∞ . ∞ . ∞ . ∞. . .

The smile on his face vanished when his phone rang again. As he held the phone in his hand, I could look over at the number.

Unknown.

Sharing a look, he slid the bar to accept the call and placed it on speaker. "A smile on your face when your sister has been kidnapped, Arnav?"

I gulped hearing Shyam's voice. It must have been years since I heard his voice, but it still felt as if yesterday. The back of my spine chilled and I fought to stay in control.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Heartless. How will your sister feel when she hears that?"

"Where. Is. She?" Arnav clenched his teeth. Shyam had the guts to mock us right now. It did prove one thing. There had to be hidden cameras in this house as well. He couldn't have known Arnav had a faint smile of his face otherwise. It was terrifying to think how he could have gotten cameras here where we lived.

This was supposed to be our home. A safe place.

"If you touch her..."

Shyam cut him off, "All concern for her and nothing for your best friend?" Then, he laughed like the monster he was. At Arnav's silence, he continued his attempts to rile him up, "What? Are you not going to ask where they are? What I have done with them? What I want?"

I shook my head as I asked him to listen instead of showing to Shyam just how worried he was.

"Wow, who would've thought ASR would listen to a middle-class girl. You're taking the fun out of it!" He dragged a sigh, "Oh well, I'll just have to tell you as it is then. I want an exchange. It's simple. Aarav for Anjali. Khushi for Lavanya."