SatS - Chapter 7: Shy

Start from the beginning

Using his juggling balls, or magical crystals, he drew out the shadow to him.

They levitated around the small shadow figure almost threateningly.

"You there, do come out of the shadows!" Mr Spades called, his positivity not dropping from his tone.

"Jack" Sensei growled, as he stood prepared for an attack, as do I.

"Oh relax, I shall deal with this!" Mr Spades said, confidently, as he made a 'come here' hand motion.

Abruptly, the stones came towards him, pulling the reluctant shadow from the tree folds.

The creature fought back, howling as it tried to avoid capture.

"Now, now, let's not be so troublesome" Mr Spade, continued, increasing the force of is power.

A cry ripped through the air.

A child's cry.

My breath caught as realization struck.

"Stop!" I shouted, running forward.

Mr Spades, jumped in surprise, his power wavering just enough for the child to escape.

"Now why did you do that child?" Mr Spades said, frowning as he glanced at his broken trap.

Ignoring him, I made my way to the shadow who had run back to their hiding place shaking. Darkness covered their hiding place, making it difficult to see within, but then a realization hit me as I met with two orbs of light within the enclave of the tree. Their form is not of the normal. Instead, it seems to be made of the shadows they hid in, making it difficult to see them.

Hesitating, I knelt down before them.

"Hey," I said softly, reaching a hand forward. I can feel it's fear and apprehension in the air as I paused.

"It's okay" I continued, catching two orbs of light in the shadows "I don't want to hurt you"

The shadow child hesitated. Its form shook, but not with fear, I think;  more because of uncertainty. Her eyes flickered closed, leaving me lost to her form, excluding the small sound of shuffling.

"I am sorry for my friend's actions. They were worried you were a threat" I said, keeping up my tone and leaving my hand up for them to take, palm facing up "But don't worry, I know you're not. I won't let them hurt you. They just need to see you are not something to be frightened off"

The shadows moved as the child seem to be coming towards me, ever so slowly.

With my other hand, I slowly reached into my back pocket. It followed my hand's motions, the tremble in its figure returning.

Quickly, I pulled out my secret stash of sweets.

"Here, would you like some? they are quite nice"

The trembling decreased but is still there as they do not make a move forward, simply glancing between the packet and me.

Taking a sweet myself, I plopped it in my mouth.

The child watched with interest as I bit down on the sweet releasing its sugars.

I smile.

"See" I continued, holding the pack out for them "It's all good"

Slowly, the child moved forward and into the light, slightly, and that is when their image became clear. Instead of skin, its form is a misty dark sort of colour, the perfect thing to blend into the shadows with. Its hair wavered and flew in the air above her as he eyes sparked with light, drawing you to them in the abyss of her body.

Carefully, it lifted a sweet from the pack and took a bite.

I watched her eyes lit up.

It quickly reached for another one, without hesitation this time.

I smiled wider.

"See, there is no need to be shy"

The child nodded happily before me, as Barnes chuckled.

"How did she do that?" Mr Spade whispered behind me.

I blushed at the awe in his tone.

Chuckling Barnes replied "That's Swift's magic"

"Magic?" Mr Spade said sharply "but I thought she .. you know, just Human?"

I felt a sting at his tone but continued smiling.

The shadow child caught my eyes. There is a pause as it kept my gaze before, ever so slowly, they moved forward into my lap.

"Yes, the simple magic of humans," Barnes said, his tone bitter but for all to different reason than Mr Spade "Kindness"

There is a pregnant pause.

"Ah..." Mr Spade said, almost awkwardly "I did not mean any offence"

"Then remain from sounding like it," Sensei said, gruffly as his hand is placed upon my shoulder.

Looking up to him, I kept my smile, now looser than before, as the shadow child moved from eating my sweet to playing with my hair.

And that's when I felt it again.

The familiar sense of eyes looking at us, still.

But this time it is different.

"Shadow" A deep voice called abruptly. It rumbled from all around us seem to be from all directions of the forest.

Immediately, the child stood and ran behind us.

As she reached the edge of the woods the shadows that danced there slowly split from their spot to form the shape of a... a man?

Unlike shadow, he does not stay in his shadowy form of dark shades but slowly takes one of similar skin to ours.

Like Mr Spade had done with the trees...

Reaching down, he lifted the child to his hip before standing tall to address us.

"I see you're back again Mr Spade," The male said as his warm brown eyes scanned us one by one. As they landed upon me they linger longer as he added "and you have brought friends, I presume"

Mr Spade stepped forward, a smile upon his face as he greeted the newcomer.

"Woodsman!"