Chapter VI

Frances placed the final dish into the sink and turned to face Julian. He downed the rest of his drink and stood up. Just as he turned towards the stairs to meet up with his children in their room and put them to bed, Frances called out.

"If you want to finish the milking, I can put the children to bed." It had been almost two weeks since she had first arrived and 

At first, he prepared to reject her offer, but after a moment he just sighed and rubbed the back of his head. "Thank you. I appreciate it."

Frances picked up his empty glass and put it with the rest of the dirty dishes. "It is no trouble. I know you must want to get the chores done as soon as you can."

Julian ducked out of the kitchen and Frances wiped her hands on a rag. She ascended the stairs and pushed open the children's bedroom door. Their little faces all spun to her but as soon as they saw that it was only her and not their father, little frowns replaced their smiles and Winnie's eyes seemed to crumble beneath her brows. 

Frances smiled encouragingly and shut the door behind her.

"Where's Papa, Ansi?" Winnie asked. Despite her words, her face was not accusing. 

"He has some chores to do," Frances explained, picking Rebecca up from the floor where she chewed on one of Jem's shoes. She took it from the girl and held out a small rag doll instead. 

On the dresser, three nightgowns were laid out. All three different sizes, but exactly the same in color cut and pattern. Plain, floor-length, and cream. Frances helped the three children change into them and she quickly brushed and braided Winnie's hair before tucking them all into bed. 

"I have a surprise for you," she said when the light had been extinguished and only one candle flickered on the dresser. Sitting on the floor and leaning against Winnie's bed, she pulled out the little book she had bought. Winnie sat up in bed and leaned over Frances' shoulder. 

"What's inside?" she whispered.

Frances chuckled and turned to the first page. "A story."

Winnie pulled back, her little brow puckered. "A story? In a book?"

Frances laughed and shook her head. "Of course! Sit back down, Winnie, and I'll read it to you all."

Winnie pursed her lips but did as she was told. Jem stretched out on his stomach, his thumb in his mouth and his lashes brushing the top of his cheek. His eyes gazed as wide and as lazy as the cow's. Rebecca's face peeked out from between the bars of her crib, the doll still in her mouth but her eyes ever-watching. 

With all their attention on her, Frances held the book up and read. 

"Once upon a time," she began, "there was a little girl by the name of Sally..." In the story, the little girl was very selfish and was constantly asking for a new toy or sweet from her mother. The father loved treating his little princess and would always get her whatever she wanted. Over the years, he bought her a pony and cart, eleven dolls, a large dollhouse, four silk dresses, a glass tea set, a puppy, and a play house in their yard in the city. But the girl was never happy. The governess knew that the parents were spoiling their daughter but they didn't realize how horrible she really was because they always left her care to nannies and governesses. But she had a plan. 

One day, when the parents were both out - the father to work and the mother out shopping - the governess took the little girl and a large bag of her old toys and directed the carriage to bring them to the poorest district in the city. There, the governess began handing out the toys to the poor children who had never seen such things. At first the little girl was appalled and threw a fit. Seeing this, a little girl with dirty skin held out the toy she had been given by the governess. The little girl stopped crying immediately. She was in shock. Why was the poor girl giving back the toy? In surprised, the little girl didn't take the toy back. Instead she simply pushed it back towards the poor girl. The poor girl was ecstatic. She clung to the toy like a life-line and the little rich girl was so surprised that such a little thing could bring so much joy. She had never felt such happiness at a toy. She began helping the governess hand out the rest of the toys. With every smile, the little girl grew happier. She had never known that being kind and sharing could be such a joyful experience for the one doing the giving.