Chapter 3 | Laws Of Attraction

Start from the beginning

"Our winner... again," said Fred, gesturing to Holly who was beside herself with joy.

Holly's chesnut brown hair bounced as she jumped. "Yay! This deserves a celebration. Ice cream at Kitty's?"

Fred pulled her close and kissed her on the top of the head. "Kitty's it is."

I groaned internally as the relief hit me that I could finally be rid of the horrid bowling shoes the world had cursed us with. But, it seemed like I had a struggle to get them off with the thick, warm socks I had on.

Finally, one popped off and I breathed.

"You are coming, aren't you?" asked Holly. She had her shoes in her hand and the boys were nowhere in sight.

"Uh-huh," I said, attempting the other one. "I'll catch up with you. I'm just going to put my shoes on and use the restroom. Tell Fred to put the heaters on in his car, please."

Holly smiled and went on her way. It was kind of a struggle with the horrid shoes, but in the end I managed to get them off. I felt like I was taking liberties - what with being so slow, but I simply did not have any rush in me that night.

So, instead of going to the restroom right away, I sat back in the booth and yawned. There's no point in lying. I was in two minds whether to text Holly and tell her to leave me or not. I could have got a bus or a cab or even walked, but it was too cold. And, the bowling alley was so peaceful. It was slowly emptying and the music was beginning to die down.

"Haven't been stood up, have you?"

I was almost sure I'd imagined a voice, but I glanced behind me to see none other than Nathan Heath leaning on the back of my booth, just as alone as I was.

"No," I said. "I just can't be bothered to walk to the car." I thought. "Or, go to Kitty's. I'm surprised to see you out tonight. I see that loss did more than physiological damage."

Nathan laughed quietly. One of his eyes were black, his eyebrow had been stitched and there was a bruise on the left side of his chin. Raiden Wolf had give him a beating, to say the least.

"You saw it, then?"

I nodded.

"It all comes with playing the game," he shrugged. "Sometimes, you have to take the loss. I have to admit, I'm surprised you went. I didn't expect you to be a boxing fan."

"I'm not. Holly tried to set me up."

Nathan raised his good eyebrow, but his face scrunched up in pain. "Any good?"

I shook my head.

"Plenty of fish in the sea."

I had to agree with him there.

I don't quite know what was wrong with me. I was never one to pour out my feelings to someone, but Nathan - he was different. I don't know if it was because he'd been so brutally honest on out first meeting, but I felt like I could say anything - like I could sit here until four in the morning debating on our versions of religion and world creation.

But, I didn't know him. Not really.

"You don't come bowling often, do you?" he asked.

Again, I said no. What was wrong with these boys and bowling?

"How can you tell?" I asked, tying my laces.

He laughed. "No offence, but you're useless."

"Not the first time I've been told that today."

I was very unamused. Just because I wasn't any good at something, it didn't give anyone the right to mock me.