Chapter 7-Bets are Not Fun

Have you ever spent quality time with your family? Tell me what it's like. Do you guys just have a nice family dinner, talk about what has happened all week?

Well, if you are Marcia Leigh Maspion, please don't ever do that.

***

I woke up at two thirty AM on a Wednesday to an annoying voice yelling down my bedroom. It sounded familiar, but nevertheless, I had to play safe. I put two of my thickest winter coats on and grabbed a mop that I place in the bathroom in case I have male guests around. What? You know guys! They never even bother to shoot the "ball".

I went down to find the kitchen lights open. That was where the commotion was happening. What if that person was a rapist, or he was armed? Oh well. I walked slowly and as quietly as I can before sneaking behind the man and hitting him hard on the head with my mop.

"Dammit! Dammit all to hell!" he cursed, rubbing his blonde hair. Oh, damn. It was my brother, Kristopher Maspion. He was known as the notorious Malibu playboy. He had tanned skin, our father's beach blonde hair and our mom's brown eyes. He also inherited Dad's pigheadedness.

"Kristopher?!" I exclaimed, shocked. What the hell was he doing here? I never invited him.

"Nice to know my sis has a way of welcoming guests," he said, rubbing his head.

"I'm really sorry. I didn't know it was you!" I defended. I gave him the ice pack I kept in the fridge. "What the heck are you doing here anyways?"

He didn't answer. Instead, he just chuckled as he set the ice pack in his forehead. As he chuckled, I smelled the alcohol reeking in his breath. He had been drinking.

"Kristopher, are you drunk?" I asked. He gasped dramatically.

"What? No! No, not at all! I swear to drunk I'm not god."

Yep, he was definitely drunk.

"Ugh, Kris, what did I tell you about coming here when you're drunk? You could puke or something!"

"I just came to tell you something," he said between hiccups. "Jimmy and Maria wants to have dinner with us tomorrow night."

Ahh, now I get why he was drinking. Jimmy and Maria Maspion were the notorious business couple in the music industry. Our father Jimmy owns the top record label in America, while our mother Maria is the CEO of one of the top Kpop record labels.

Kristopher despised them.

Despised would actually be an understatement. Kristopher, being the eldest, experienced how our parents were rarely ever there. Our Mom was always in Korea while we only saw our Dad in press conferences. We only saw them on dinners with their colleagues, just like this one.

"Their top stars are having dinner with them," he seethed. "They expect us to be present."

I shrugged. "Well, what can we do? We have to be there." I looked at my brother. "Come on, drunk boy, let's get you to the sofa. You better not go puking on my living room, or else."

***

I hate wearing dresses.

I am the typical I-hate-dresses girl. I do not like feeling feminine or being afraid that some wind would blow my skirt up and revealing my horrid underwear and legs.

Yet, here I am, on a car to Secret Garden wearing a dress and heels. I was very dolled up. Kristopher made me curl the tips of my hair, hence the nice, loopy ringlets sideswept to my left shoulder. I was wearing a a black dress with a nice white ribbon tied around my waist, and a nice white hem. On my feet were plain white sandals  with the shortest kitten heels. Ha, black and white, just like my soul.