|3 : Bonds|

DOUBLE UPDATE! ❤
This is quite a long chapter, nearly 3000 words! I hope you enjoy 😘

This chapter is dedicated to mysteryladyofnight, thank you for your support, love ❤

|| Later that afternoon... ||

"Miss, miss! It's time to wake up." said a young voice somewhere in the far distance. Delicate hands grabbed Anna's shoulders and shook her carefully. Annabelle reluctantly opened one eye to look at her young maid Ellen, only to close it again, and move her head to the other side muttering incoherent words under her breath.

After the morning events, Annabelle was tired, her limbs sore and cold. She buried herself under warm blankets as soon as they managed to sneak back home. It wasn't easy to escape from the cave. They got lucky. If not for Ronan who found a secret passage under the water, they still would have been stuck there. They had to swim through a narrow dark tunnel and then climb to the top of the waterfall. The walk back home wasn't the shortest either. They had to go around their familiar path, all the while, keeping their eyes and ears alert for any danger.

It was an eventful morning practice, indeed. Not only for her body but for her heart that like a wild animal, didn't slow down until they were miles away from the strangers. She refused to question the reasons for her strange and uncommon reaction. Perhaps something triggered her memories, perhaps it was fear of the unknown. Whatever it was, she wasn't sure whether she wanted to know. However, deep down, she felt there was something more to the man whose voice she had heard, she couldn't shake the feeling that she knew that voice. It was ridicules, really, she only heard him that one time, and yet, she was sure if she ever stepped into a crowded room full of chatter and laughter, she'd recognise his voice immediately over the loud banter.

She didn't see him, she didn't know who the voice belonged to, what face it carried and yet, she couldn't get him off her mind. It was strange and quite unsettling, and Annabelle didn't like unsettling. She liked logic and reason and control.

It was way past two in the afternoon when the maid came knocking at Belle's door with news.

"Just two more minutes, Ellen." Annabelle muttered into the pillow "Make it five... or ten. Be so nice and let me sleep this afternoon."

"Miss, I hate to disturb your sleep, but Sir Davis is awaiting you downstairs."

It only took a matter of few breaths for Ellen's words to register and for Annabelle's eyes to snap wide open. Sudden excitement overwhelmed her at the thought that Nathaniel was back and she could see him this very afternoon! She sat up straight, sleep long forgotten.

She got out of bed with the speed of lightning and rushed to the doors tripping on her own night dress in the process.

"Miss Annabelle! You can't go out wearing this, it is highly inappropriate!"

Belle stopped in mid-step and looked down at her clothing. Her eyes widened and cheeks reddened as she realised what she was wearing.

"Come my lady, let me help you."

Annabelle shook her head at Ellen.

"I told you to stop calling me 'Miss' and 'My Lady'. I like to think we are friends."

"I like to think that too, yhm, Anna. It has been a while since I had a proper friend." Ellen smiled sadly while she continued to help Annabelle into her forest green dress. It complemented both her figure and wild beauty perfectly.