XXXII

i decided to not include robin in this story, because i don't think i can accurately portray the battle with cancer that he would've been going through at the time, and while i love and miss robin with all of my heart, i want to respect his memory by not creating a fake personality for him

i hope you can all respect that xx

~~~~

THE FAMILY

Honestly, the last three hours (there were certain benfits to travelling on the M40 at seven in the morning) had been surprisingly enjoyable and relaxed. The majority of the drive had been spent with Ellie encouraging Harry to sing along to a wide variety of ridiculous songs, and then feeling incredibly outdone when he joined in. It wasn't her fault she couldn't sing.

However, as the small blue vehicle entered Holmes Chapel, Ellie started worrying a little bit more. It was all well and good driving on the motorway, but as the speed limit dropped, so did Ellie's heart. She was fairly certain that it was sitting somewhere at the bottom of her stomach.

She wasn't even Harry's girlfriend - she didn't even know what she was to him, to be honest - and yet she was already meeting  his family. Ellie knew his family weren't mean. If there was one thing that her minor obsession fangirl stage had taught her, it was that. Still, she was scared.

Her hands weren't shaking yet, but they weren't far off.

As if he'd noticed her discomfort, Harry reached over and put his hand over hers, suqeezing it slightly. She looked over at him, and she assumed there was probably some silent fear in her eyes, because he smiled.

"They're going to love you," he whispered, still holding her hand. She nodded, smiling slightly, and although parts of her didn't believe him, she felt a tiny bit better.

She'd been too lost in her own thoughts (mostly revolving around the feel of Harry's hand on hers) to notice them pulling into a smaller street. Oh no. This was it. Harry's house. Ellie took back what she'd earlier thought about feeling better - she was a lot, lot worse.

They pulled up outside a house which Ellie could only assume was his, and she realised that there was one question that they'd yet to answer. What exactly were she and Harry

Eager to sort that out, Ellie shifted herself over and pulled on Harry's hand so that he turned over and looked at her, his head slightly tilted.

"Harry, what are we?" He blinked once, then twice, clearly trying to sort out an answer in his own mind. To be honest, she'd been working over the same question in the back of her mind for most of the drive.

"What do you want to be?" Ellie raised an eyebrow. Was that really the best he could come up with? "No, I mean, I know what I want us to be, but Ellie, this isn't just about me, is it? It's you too, and you're leaving, and I don't want to rush you into anything you can't maintain and-" Harry was rambling, moving his free hand rapidly as he spoke. Now it was Ellie's turn to be taken aback.

"Harry," she said, slowly, "I kind of think a long distance relationship will kill me, you know?" Harry looked down at his lap, removing his hand from hers and playing with his fingers.

"Oh," he said, and there was a ridiculous amount of sadness in his voice, "I guess you're right." Ellie shook her head, laughing under her breath, before she reached out and grabbed his hand in hers again.

"That's why you should always let me finish, you dolt," Ellie smiled at him, lightly slapping his shoulder, and she could've sworn his green eyes lit up slightly, "I kind of  think it'll kill me, but you know what I really think? I think you're good for me, Harry. You make me happy, so I want to try. And I hope that's the answer you were hoping for, because otherwise I just ridiculously embarrassed myself." Ellie knew she was bright red, and she looked down at her lap.