xl. smile

↱                                                                                   ↰

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐘𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃'𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘺: 𝘴𝘮𝘪𝘭𝘦

↳                                                                                   ↲

𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐬

     THE PAIN FLOWING THROUGH me is nothing compared to the pain coursing through Allison's Pack members. That pain is second to losing your Mate. Isaac is feeling that right this moment. His pained howl is echoing in my ears and making my stomach clench. Isaac and Allison were going to get married in a few months. They were going to have a family beyond the Packs. That's all been taken away from them by a half-blood.

     "This is why I hate Hunters," I growl, my shoes pounding on the pavement as I turn the corner. "They kill whoever gets in their goddamn way."

     Alec tightens his hold on me, attempting to comfort me. "We're not all like that. It's only Valentine's people that do that. My friends, my Institute, don't kill without reason. A very good reason at that."

     "Broken Accords. Am I right? Those pieces of paper won't keep peace forever, Alec. They're barely keeping it as it is."

     "We're working on something better. A mutually satisfying arrangement."

     I round the last corner and skid to a stop, my eyes wide with horror and my eyes burning their deep purple, the silver more prominent than before. Allison's heart is slowing quickly. Alec and I run over to my friends, drawing eyes and welcoming smiles. The smiles are forced. Their Pack mate is dying, why wouldn't they be forced? I fall to my knees next to Isaac and Allison, gripping Allison's hand as I draw the pain from her body.

     "Hold on, Ally," I say, smiling down at the Huntress. "We're going to do something."

     Allison smiles at me, her eyes alive despite her dying body. "Stiles, you're alive."

     "Yeah, and I didn't come back to watch my friend die. You're going to live as well."

     "She doesn't want to be one of us." Isaac's voice is thick with tears and anger. "She doesn't want to live if that's what she's going to become."

     Allison nods. "I'm sorry, Stiles. I can't do it."

     Tears spring to life in my eyes and start to burn my face as they roll down. "It's alright, Ally. We'll think of something."