xxii. the bond will dominate

↱                                                                                   ↰

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐘𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐃'𝐒 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐄

𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘵𝘸𝘰: 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘰𝘯𝘥 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘥𝘰𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘦

↳                                                                                   ↲

𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐞𝐬

     ASIDE FROM THE OBVIOUS, everything has been working out just fine for the Packs of Beacon Hills. Just the thought of a war between the three Packs sends chills up my spine. It would be a blood bath and the Humans would get caught in the crossfire. There would only be one, possibly two Packs standing at the end of it, and I know that one won't be my Mate's Pack.

     'The thing is, Stiles,' Peter says through the Pack Mind Link. 'Just because everything seems to be alright, doesn't mean that it really is.'

     I roll my eyes. 'Thanks for the vote of confidence, Creepy Petey.'

     'No problem. I'm not the only thinking it. I'm just the only one voicing it. Even ask your friend Scott. He's the main instigator of this, you know.'

     'What are you talking about?'

     'You've been so caught up in our Pack that you haven't spent any time with your other friends. I'm not saying this to be cruel, I'm trying to help you out here. Either way, Scott feels abandoned.'

     'How do you know all of this?'

     'I have an informant in their midst. What do you take me for, Stiles?'

     Realisation hits me. 'Alex. Alex is your informant.'

     'Very good, Stiles. Anyway, it's a good thing she's in.'

     'Why?'

     'I know what your Mate's planning.'

     'What is he planning, Peter?'

     'He wants to be the only Alpha in Beacon Hills. Guess where that plan is going.'

     'He's going after Liam.'

     I sever the Pack Mind Link and start running. I start to think that Peter is lying, but then growl at myself. Peter has changed ever since he found his Mate and joined a Pack. My friend wouldn't do that. I know that all too well. I know that Peter won't let his friend or any of his Pack die. I know from firsthand experience.

     I skid to a stop in front of Liam's house, a growl leaving me when I see Derek's glowing eyes. "What are you doing, Derek?"

     Derek's eyes swing to his Mate and go wide, the red glow brightening. "Stiles, go home."

     "What are you doing here, Derek? It sure as hell doesn't look like a friendly chat. I can smell your entire Pack. This is an ambush."

     "Go home, Stiles. Don't get in the middle of this."

     I force my way into Derek's mind and snarl. "Peter was right. You want Liam dead. You want to be the only Alpha here. That won't be happening, because guess what, Derek? If Liam gets killed, you'll have his Pack on your tail for the rest of your life. If Liam dies, I will be the Alpha, and, if you kill me, you kill yourself in the process."

     "Stiles," Liam says, opening the front door and walking outside. "What's the matter? I can smell the anger radiating off you. Betrayal too. What happened?"

     "Derek wants to be the only Alpha in Beacon Hills. He wants you dead."

     Liam's ruby red eyes fly to Derek and he growls warningly. I watch the exchange between the two Alphas and my eyes burn purple, the shots of silver more prominent than ever before. Before Derek can do anything, Hayden, Malia, and Theo seem to appear out of thin air. Growls fill the street, and the rest of Liam and my Pack appear out of the darkness. Following them out are Derek's wounded Pack.

     Derek meets my burning eyes and sighs, his own eyes returning to their hazel colour. "I'm sorry, Stiles. I didn't mean for it to go this far."

     I shake my head. "You want my friend - my Alpha - dead, Derek. That's something I can never forgive. Even if you are my Mate. There's no forgiveness for this mistake."

     Liam looks at his Beta. "Stiles, it's alright. He's a dominant and possessive Alpha. He and I are much the same. I don't blame him for this. I wanted him dead as well, but, I must admit, I never actually planned to go through with it."

     "There are three Alpha's in Beacon Hills, and yet only two of you want the others dead or gone. Valerie is quite content with living under the rule of a Werewolf Alpha that respects and accepts herself and her Pack. Why can't you be content with being an Alpha with an allied Pack, Derek? Liam is no threat, and neither is Valerie."

     Derek shakes his head. "It's not me that wants the Alphas dead. It's my Wolf."

     "Good on the stupid thing. Control it. I'm controlling mine - as well as my Fox. If I can do that and be as young as I am, then you - who is a born Werewolf - can control your singular being inside you."

     "Stiles, I'm sorry."

     "No, Derek. Not this time. This time, you have to work for it."

     Liam steps between us and I realise how close Derek and I are. I have walked up to him in the middle of my rant and am almost in my Mate's face. Then I realise that my claws are digging into my palms and blood is trickling to the ground. I let out a breath and Shift back, my wounds healing as soon as my claws retract.

     Liam places his hand on my shoulder. "Calm down, Sti. Nothing happened. He's your Mate. You have to forgive him eventually. I forgave Hayden, and she forgave me. Every Mate has to forgive their significant other at one stage in their lives."

     I sigh, my eyes returning to their usual whiskey brown. "I stand by what I said, Liam. He has to work for it."

     "Don't make him work too hard for it. He needs you, and you need him. Don't forget the Mate Bond. If you stretch it out too far, it will force you both to do something to restore the balance. There's no use fighting it, Sti."