A second cow mooed, this one a deep and annoyed sound. Frances spun around and came face to face with a large hairy face. She nearly yelped but she quickly caught herself. She mustn’t alarm the cow. She slowly stepped back, holding up the final bucket between her and the cow. 

The heifer snorted and continued chewing what what still in her mouth. Frances glanced over her shoulder and noticed the open stall door. It was the last of the three occupied stalls. The bolt must have slipped out of its lock. 

Frances held a hand up the cow and slowly inched her way forwards. She stroked the heifer’s neck and the cow sighed, leaning into her touch. Frances couldn’t help smiling. She pushed on the cow’s side and she began to turn around. Using nudges and pushes, Frances managed to herd the cow back into her stall. She bolted the stall shut and reached inside for a final pat.

She then faced the three empty stalls. If the churn wasn’t with the garden tools, perhaps they had been stored in one of the unused stalls. She looked in each but they held nothing more than a layer of settled hay. 

She turned to leave, but something caught her eye in the last stall. With brow furrowed, she pulled open the stall door and kneeled in the hay. Reaching into the straw, her fingers felt something cool and smooth. She lifted it up to the light. A piece of broken brown glass. She moved aside and brushed away a layer of hay. More glass, perhaps enough for two or three bottles. But the hay covering them was old. They had been laying here for some time. It was dangerous to have such things lying around. But at least the stall was unused and the children never came in the barn to play. 

Heavy breathing huffed against the back of her neck. Frances sucked in a breath and turned to see that the cow had once more escaped from her stall. She stood over Frances, her large limpid eyes half closed in disinterest. Frances replaced the straw and shepherded the cow back into the aisle. She closed the door behind her and stared at the large brown piebald cow. She’d have to find some rope to fasten the door shut. Perhaps that would keep the cow from nudging the bolt out of its lock. 

She raised her hands and drove the cow back towards her stall.

“What are you doing?”

Frances jumped and turned to the door. Julian stood in the entrance, his body casting a long shadow down the aisle. She turned back to the cow but the animal gazed back at her as if asking the same question.

“Um...the cow escaped from her stall. I’m just trying to put her back. I think something has to be done about the bolt.”

Julian stepped closer. “I know about the bolt, but how is the cow letting you so near?”

Francs frowned and glanced between the heifer and Julian. “I’m sorry, should I have stayed away from her?”

“Not particularly. I’m just a little surprised.”

Frances glanced at the cow. She looked calm and sleepy. Frances glanced back at Julian, a little confused but amused at his surprise.“Why?”

Julian stepped closer and the cow suddenly reared her head and stomped her hoof. Her tail flicked out angrily, almost nicking the back of Frances’ legs. “This cow is the orneriest cow this side of Malborrow Creek. She doesn’t like people, or other cows, or really any sort of living thing. Even her own tail gets her angry sometimes.”

“Really? She seems kind of sweet.” Frances eyed the cow. The large mellow eyes were locked on Julian and he made no motions of drawing nearer. “What should I do?”

“You said the cow had gotten out of her stall twice. How did she get back in the first time?”

Frances shrugged. “I kind of just nudged her in the right way.”