Chapter Two

P.O.V.: Patton, First Person
Timeline: Present Day (Beginning of Flashback from 'Why I Run (Prinxiety)')

"Are you sure I look okay?" I asked, trying to shove the rebellious part of my hair back over to the other side. "Why you gotta do your own thing?" I mummered to my hair, trying to fix it.

"Patton, you look fine." Logan responded, not even looking up from the large book in his hands.

Logan, of course, looked perfect - all parts of him calm and collected. He was just so neat and orderly...

And I was just a mess.

Who am I kidding? How could someone like him like someone fool like me? Maybe I was wrong.

"You didn't even look!" I protested instead of saying my true feelings out loud.

"You're asking silly questions and I don't indulge in silly questions - you are literally wearing the exact same thing you wear every day. You look fine," Logan answered, still not looking up.

"But today's SPECIAL."

"Roman has a party at least once a month - what could be special about this one in particular?"

I bit my lip, starting to pick my nails. "I invited Anxiety."

That caught Logan's attention.

Logan's head snapped up quickly, looking up from his book - finally - , and it shut with a loud, deep clap. "You invited Anxiety? Why?"

My hands twisted together in their own accord, suddenly nervous. "I... I think he needs to get out more. He hides in his room all the time - maybe he'll make some friends," I ended, hopeful.

Better leave out the fact that I threatened him to choose between doing the dishes for the next month or go to this party, I thought guiltily.

"Look," Logan started and I knew he was trying to think of the least catastrophic way to deliver his disagreement. "Anxiety doesn't go to parties. He doesn't want to even come to the semi-annual Mind Palace meeting. And for him to willingly - "

Logan broke off, starting to see my disappointment and changed course. "Patton, I... I just don't want you to be disappointed if he doesn't show up. I don't want you to get your hopes up."

I turned away, back towards the mirror, trying to hide the fact that I had been thinking along the same lines. Threat or not, Anxiety could change his mind.

"I... I just want to make sure it goes well, if he does decide to come. I... feel for him. He feels like he doesn't have a friend in the world."

"That might not be true," Logan continued quietly, his voice closer than before. He placed a comforting hand at the base of my spine and had to hold back a small gasp. Logan was by no means a 'touchy' person and him initiating any sort of contact was astounding.

Not mention that it felt all the more powerful because he was my crush, of course.

"I'm sure he'd tell you if he felt like he has no friends." Logan hesitated. "Did he tell you that?"

I shook my head.

"He didn't have to."

*****

P.O.V.: Logan, First Person
Timeline: Present Day

I can't believe I let Patton convince me to come.

I rubbed the towel all over my damp hair, doing my best to dry my hair as quickly as possible. I had decided to take a quick shower and Patton was still waiting in my room.

If Anxiety was coming... I had to admit, I was curious. I don't think I've actually had a conversation with the side. All that I know is from pure rumor.

I mean, he obviously plays a major role in Thomas's life. Hence why he is forced to sit through the semi-annual meetings with the most important sides - Patton, Roman, and myself. He never contributes anything - just pulls his headphones over his ears and his hood up until its over, in which he disappears before any of us could dare. Not that it was always like that. I mean, the first time he showed up was a little over twenty years ago.

I slipped my shirt back over my head, before placing my glasses back on my nose. I blinked at the reflection in the mirror, who stared straight back at me.

My hair was a bit messy, but it actually didn't look that bad on its own so I decided to let it be. It would probably be a pleasant surprise for Patton who hasn't seen my hair like this since we were kids.

Patton was the first, showing up before Thomas was even born. He was alone. No one else had formed yet so he was alone. It was only a little while after Thomas turned one, when I showed up and we were on our own for a little while.

Princey showed up randomly one day, but at this point there were so many other sides I didn't notice him at first. Roman didn't really start to become a major side until Thomas was four or so, possibly even before that.

And for a long time, it was the three of us.

We were really close. As kids (yes, I was a kid a really long time ago), we all played together. Sure there were some arguments, but we were too close to stay mad at each other for long. Besides, we all hated confrontation, so the longest we stayed mad at each other for any given reason was...

Approximately twenty minutes.

I started retying my tie, my fingers moving quickly in muscle memory. I think I was fairly young when I started wearing a tie. In the beginning, I didn't tye my tie by myself - actually, Patton did. I only started wearing one every day once I could tie it myself. Looking back, Thomas was probably eight or so.

Actually, now that I consider it, that was only a little bit before Anxiety came around.

Anxiety is the youngest of us major sides, showing up for the first time when Thomas was eight-nine-ish, and upgrading when Thomas was a teenager. He only told us what he was and no matter how hard we tried that was all he would tell us.

He refused to get close to any of us.

And I, quite frankly, don't blame him.

"Thank you for waiting, Patton," I said curtly while adjusting my tie one last time - blinking rapidly, stepping out of the bathroom as well as my nostalgic thoughts.

"No problem, Logan," Patton said, glancing away quickly and checking himself one last time in the mirror. "Are you ready?"

I held my breath as my eyes met Patton's in the mirror. There was something hopeful in them and I quickly looked away before my own emotions started to have a mind of their own.

I cleared my throat and started making my way to the door, opening it for Patton.

"After you."

Patton giggled and I couldn't help smiling. He's so adorable.

Wait - what am I doing? I can't do this! I have to protect him, have to protect the both of us... How could I be so careless?

I needed to get myself together. I... I can't do this. I can't give him a false sense of hope, can't latch my heart onto him.

It'll hurt the both of us too much when I have to let go.

_____________________________
I'm sorry bout the long wait for this chapter. My personal life has been... rough needless to say.

On the bright side, the next chapter is already finished - I just have to type it up, so I promise it won't be nearly as long of a break.

-Max :)