Chapter 20: Our Own Happy Ending

Eleven Years Later

I watched happily out of my kitchen window as Storm ran outside eager to get to her broom. Tobias was tying to follow behind her, but being only four, his legs just weren't fast enough. He always tried keeping up with his sister, but ten year olds are a little too rambunctious to play with a four year old all day, I suppose. Tobias' black mop of hair rustled in the wind as he ran to his sand box and plopped down. He had his father's obsidian eyes. Storm took after me. She had piercing blue eyes and long black hair. I had the two most beautiful children on this earth.

"Darling, the school sent an owl while you were still in bed. They said they need your years lesson plan before Tuesday." Severus said as he sat at the table and flipped through his paper.

"Ugh... I haven't even started it. Surely you have an old years lesson plan laying around I could use. Or better yet, if you wanted to go teach my classes-"

"Ah, I'm done teaching. I passed that torch to you. The best and first female Potions Master of Hogwarts." There was always a tinge of pride in his voice when he said that.

"It wouldn't have been possible without my amazing potions teacher."

"Well, I-" I cut him off.

"Slughorn really prepared me." Severus crumpled his paper down and looked at me over it. "Kidding." I said with a laugh. I turned back to the window and watched Storm whiz through the air on her broom. "Severus we did it." I heard him relax his paper again.

"Did what?"

"We made the world a better place for our children. We made sure they would never grow up seeing what we saw. All those years... they were the worst years of our lives, but... in this moment... while Storm is outside practicing on her broom and Tobias is playing, I don't fear for them whatsoever. It makes everything worth it. And not just with the war... but we gave our children a happy home. They're happy kids. They're always smiling. They're funny and beautiful. And we made sure they didn't grow up like us. We made sure they knew they were loved." Tears filled my eyes. "This is all I've ever wanted." Severus sat his paper down and walked over to me. He pulled me into a tight hug and held me close.

"We've made a beautiful life together, Alex. Something we can be proud of. Something that I am so extremely proud of every single day when I wake in the morning until I go to bed at night. I have the most amazing wife, two beautiful children," he placed his hand on my stomach. "One on the way. I couldn't have asked for a better life. And I wouldn't change it for the world."

"Neither would I, love. Neither would I."

All was well.

******************************************************************

I can't believe we finally made our way to the end of this series. Guy! I've been writing these books for four years! A lot of you have stuck with me since I was a fifteen year old kid taking her first swing at Wattpad and you guys have made this so amazing for me the entire way. I loved seeing your excitement as the story progressed. Each and every one of you made my life a little better with every read, comment, and vote. You all mean the world to me as does this story. Thank you. Thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart. The tears are flowing heavily as I write this. I don't know if I'll write any more stories or just end with this one, but you all have made this the best experience of my life. 

Much Love, 

Savannah