Chapter 17: Just Like Mine

Death is always promised. From the second we are born we know, that one day, we will die. We all have an expiration date. Yours may be tomorrow. Or forty-eight seconds from now. But you will die.

Some believe when you die you're taken to a paradise without pain and suffering to live out the rest of your days. Some believe there is nothing. You just cease to exist. Some believe when you die that you are born again as something completely new. But we do all agree, that death equals finality. Except for Tom Marvolo Riddle.

The man who defied death. Some believe when you take a soul from Death's collection you have a debt to pay. Therefore if you save your own soul, you must pay it with someone else's. Tom's been paying Death for a very long time. But after today, May 2, 1998, Tom's debt will be fully paid. That is a promise.

I looked out to see the pillars of Hogwarts standing tall and firm as Tom rattled on. I could just barely see the inhabitants of the castle scattering, some of them holding the knowledge that they will not live to see May 3, 1998.

"Begin." It was time. Blue lights shot out of every wand around me. Bellatrix gave an evil shriek as she began to break down the castles shield. It was time. I fooled my wand away and thought of Severus. He was watching. Waiting for this to all begin. I had to keep him safe. With a deep breath and a sound mind I spread my arms and put forth every single bit of power I had. The vale shot from my hands and death eaters fell around me in screams of pain. I saw Tom thrown into the air. Hordes of death eaters fell crying and cursing as I heard bones snap. With a quick look I could see I had taken down at least fifty men. Tom seemed fine. He quickly stood and fumbled for his wand. "Kill her!" Wands were turned to me and spells shot. Just before the first could hit, I apparated. There was now a price on my head.

I looked around the forest to make sure I wasn't followed. Then I quickly ran to the only thing that was going to save me. The rock. As I ran my wand along it the top faded leaving an open tunnel. I jumped in and began to fall. After a few moment I landed on Severus' bed with a thud. Jumping off the bed, I ran through his quarters. He was nowhere to be seen. I gripped my wand tightly in hand and slowly walked out to the corridor. It was empty and eerily quite. I walked slowly looking around every corner. Suddenly I heard footsteps. Whoever it was they were running. They were coming from my right. I crouched in a corner and waited with my wand ready. Around the corner came a young Slytherin. He looked maybe 12 years old. I ran out and grabbed him. The boy let out a blood curdling scream before I put my hand over his mouth. "Quiet. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm on your side. But you need to be quiet." He nodded and his dirty blonde hair bounced on his head. I took my hand away from his mouth and looked him in the eyes. "Where is Professor Mcgonagell?" The boy gulped and began to stutter.

"B-b-by the e-entrance." I nodded.

"Good. Now go to your common room and hide under your bed. Do not come out until someone you know comes and gets you and tells you you're safe. Understood?" He nodded and quickly took as as I ran to the entrance. Students began flooding left and right. Making my way through a sea of screaming students going the other way was extremely hard. Finally I made it to the entrance and ran outside. Mcgonagall and many others were there alone with some of the Order. "Professor!" Mcgonagall looked over her shoulder as I ran to her.

"Alexandra, you're alive!"

"I am. Professor, they're coming. They'll break the shield any second. We're outnumbered by a lot."

"I know, dear. But Hogwarts has stood for ages and it won't fall today. Not if I have anything to say about it. Where have you been, Alex?"

"For months I've been with Tom. I made him think I was joining him so he would train me. He had Deverose Black train me."